1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just installed XP, how do i do the Auto Shut off?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hi!, Apr 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

??? I look everywhere but can't find the Check box for it?? You know how you shut off the Computer and it shuts down by itself.. Now with this one.. It shuts down and says "you can shut off the computer now".. ??? Yep, brought back bad memories of the old days when we would have to do that!! ha ha!!

So where is that check off box to have it Shut down after I do "Shut Down" on the computer Thanks!!

2. MrBillPro

MrBillPro

Try control panel, power options , advanced and see if that will help you.

3. MrBillPro

MrBillPro

Sorry try APM in that power options box.

4. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

Thanks I'll give that a try!!

5. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

Help!! When i go to the Advance Option on the Bottom where there is supposed to be a Power Buttons option giving me a choice to : "When I press the power button on my computer....."

It's empty!! I have that option on my other XP computer?? How come this one doesn't have it??? Where do i find this APM function so i can turn it on? Thanks!!

6. rude

rude

If your computer does not turn off the power when doing a shutdown,
    you may need to edit the registry.

Start Regedit
    Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
    Edit the key PowerOffActive and give it a value of 1
    You can do the same in HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

7. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

I go to shut down the computer and then it gaves me the message "it's ok for you to shut down the computer now" message..

How do i start a Regedit? where do i find that option? And where is the APM function to turn it on?? I search on that whole tab for that word. nothing.. thanks!

8. hi!

hi! Thread Starter

I just did Run and found it.. am i supposed to do it that way?? I narrow it down to Control panel... destop.. now i'm stuck?

9. rude

rude

Highlite the word "Desktop,now look at the right pane for PowerOffActive,right clickon it and select "Modify"The next box that opens will have a number in it that is already highlited,it is probably 0,change it to 1

If you would rather not mess with the registry,I can find a script that will do it for you

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your bios may not be up to XP's acpi standard. If the above fixes do not work, post back. We may need to enable nt/legacy power support.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!