1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

just put my computer back together, wont start up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dashdanw, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

i just installed liquid cooling into my case and all i have hooked up are the motherboard and the pump (and the power switch :p). It starts for 2 seconds and then shuts down. I havea cooling block on my nortbridge and GPU as wel if that makes any difference i dont know if maybe the computer will emergency shutdown if the northbridge block isnt centered right but i thought that would probably happen after POST and its just shutting down right away. So whats the deal? what causes a computer to shut down pre-POST that i might have overlooked?

2. RoBe

RoBe

what mobo do you have? it might not start up if there is no fan detected on the cpu fan header

3. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

is posted in my comment, and i plugged in the plug to the CPU slot, i also took off the waterblocks and put the heatsinks back on it still messes up.

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

Poss. power supply or short---Re check everthing. Does it show any led lights?

5. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

yeah my motherbvoard NIC and PSU are all lit up

6. Parkman

Parkman

Once I had a pinched water pipe that caused the shutdown but I could still post longer then 2 sec. If you really can't get anything to work even with the old heat sink on I guess I would start from the bottem and test the bundle outside the case.

7. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

yeah i tried sticking on the stock heatsink for the proc and northbridge but no joy :( i also tested another PSU i had running perviously in that machine

8. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

of course neither remedy worked

9. frankjohn

frankjohn

HEAT related -or connection

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am assuming you pulled the board to do this install.

Remove everything from the case and attempt a post outside of the case. If it works now, you know you have a mounting problem. Go back and recheck the mounting of the board.

If it does not post outside of the case, you will need to swap parts with known good ones to troubleshoot ie power supply, motherboard, ram, and video card.

11. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

tried the PSU, im gessing most likely the motherboard or the CPU seeing as the most likely thing that happened would be either of them burnt out due to poor waterblock mounting. This is what i had assumed from the beggining but had put aside in my mind due to the lengthy and boreing process of shipping and receiving returns, i would think, though, that the motherboard would shut down automatically if overheating, why would it allow itself to burn out? any ideas? also any other ideas as to what the exact problem is?

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are not going to find the problem unless you test in a systematic way as outlined above. That is really the only way to find out the cause of the problem. No one can tell you "That" is the problem.

It is difficult at best when the system is in front of me; over the internet.........

13. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

i dont really have a replacment CPU to test with, could a notherbpoard burn out by not having the heatsinks on though? i thought that kind of thing was preventable by the motherboard

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Burnout? No however it is very possible for you to have damaged the board during the install of your water cooling. A simple slip with a screwdriver and you can break a solder trace OR hitting a cap, voltage regulator, etc will damage the board.
    This is why you need to pull everything out of the case and attempt a post outside of the case. In this config, you have only the board, cpu, ram, video card, and power supply. If it does not post, you start replacing parts until you find what has failed.

15. dashdanw

dashdanw Thread Starter

yeah, then i think i know exactly when i might have nicked something that would explain the problem, while installing the NB waterblock i had to use pliers to screw a nut onto a screw coming from the back of the board through the mounting hole and while twisting i slipped and, with downward force, i slid the damn thing over the very wide processor>northbridge bus and hit some capacitors on the other side, not to mention in some positions with installing the processor i unfortunately bent the capacitors back and forth trying to get into the positions i needed. i did an out of case test which resulted in changing the problem even after i put it back in the case, now it just gives me the "no ram" beep (three short beeps). Im thinking most defenitely the motherboard if it isnt possible or likely i burnt out the proc or the NB

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice