1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just received this PSU, please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hermann, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hermann

hermann Thread Starter

Please could someone just confirm whether I'm thinking right or wrong?!

I ordered a 500W (Peak) Quiet Dual Rail PSU in my new PC. the PC arrived this morning with a damaged case and I am sending it back, but I looked inside and the PSU is this model:

http://www.fsp-group.com.tw/english/1_product/2_detail.asp?mainid=1&fid=123&proid=518

As it says it's 450W, am I being conned or can this model be described in the terms of what I ordered?

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

Post the link to what you ordered.

3. hermann

hermann Thread Starter

I didn't order a particular brand of PSU, just particular brands of processor, ram, soundcard and graphics.

The list of options for PSU ranged from 350 - 600W and so I chose a "500W (Peak) Quiet Dual Rail PSU". I just don't know if what they've put in, the one I've linked to, reflects the general description of what I ordered.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is a high quality ps so I would not be worried.

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

What graphics card do you have?

If you read the blue writing at the very bottom of the page, it shows its limitations at 505W. It IS, however a 450W.

However, this puts out 36 amps @ 12 volts, so unless you have a pair of screaming video cards, this will power your system just fine. An 8800GTX needs 28 amps on the 12V rails. As long as it has PCIe connectors (if you even need them), you're good. FSP are high quality power supplies.

6. hermann

hermann Thread Starter

Thank you folks, I think it's all good then. The PC is: E6300 processor with 1GB ram running XP home, an x-fi xtreme soundcard, x1300 pro graphics, dvd writer/cdr. Mainly wanted something to tie me over with recording a bit of music, and for general use - not a gamer.

7. telegramsam

telegramsam

Then you have an excellent power supply for what you need. I would definitely use this model myself.

8. hermann

hermann Thread Starter

Good to hear. Everyone's always been a help to me on this site, appreciate it very much.

9. win2kpro

win2kpro

The model you linked to does have dual 12V rails @ 18 amps each.

The manufacturer calls that unit 450 watts, however the seller would probably argue the fact that the PSU is under rated @ 450 watts since at the bottom of the link that you sent it states;

*+3.3V & +5V total output not exceed 145W
    *+12V1 & +12V2 total output not exceed 360W

which means the total output cannot exceed 145W + 360W = 505W

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice