1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just reformatted computer, hard drive issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ev0lutionz, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ev0lutionz

Ev0lutionz Thread Starter

I just reformatted my computer, reinstalled my OS and installed drivers. However, my sata HDD has become a removable device and has a safety remove icon at my systray, how do i remove it? Please help, i didnt have this icon before i reformatted. I am using an ASUS A8n SLI premium and has a nforce4 chipset. thanks.

2. ViprXX

ViprXX

try reinstalling the sata's drivers.

good luck

3. Ev0lutionz

So i gotta reinstall from my mobo disc right?

4. ViprXX

ViprXX

if the mobo disk came with sata drivers you can install from that or if you know the hd make/model you could see if there are any updated ones on the manufactures website.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Nothing is wrong, SATA drives are removable devices according to the SATA spec. You can hide the icon, the downside is that it will be hidden for USB devices as well.

To hide the icon right click in the taskbar and click Properties. On the Taskbar tab check the box for Hide inactive icons then click Customize. Select Safely remove hardware and in the dropdown window choose Always hide.

6. Ev0lutionz

Hmm, i see, hmm but before i reformatted, the guy who setup my computer installed everything for me and then i didnt see any icon on my systray, any idea what did he do?

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

8. Ev0lutionz

hmm, i dont a floppy, how do i go about it? So i need not reformat right?

9. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Assuming the hard drive and motherboard have not changed, he probably installed newer SATA drivers. Note: If you have an N-force based motherboard there is a registry tweak to make the icon go away.

10. Ev0lutionz

uhh yeah, they havent changed. I went to my hdd manufacturer's website, Samsung and didnt find any drivers there=( Hmm the registry tweak, i know of it and tried it before but when i activated it, somehow it took like a minute or more to bootup and its stuck at the place where the bar rows horizontally with the WINDOWS word on top.

11. Ev0lutionz

12. bbearren

bbearren

In your installation, did you use the F6 key to install 3rd party SCSI drivers?

13. Ev0lutionz

Nope, dont remember pressing any F6, i think infact, i had no drivers installed other than the IDE drivers installed after installing my OS. I just deleted my C drive and reformatted using NTFS and thats all i did.

14. bbearren

bbearren

Does your system BIOS have an option to Enable/Disable SATA/RAID?
    If it does, the default setting is most likely Disabled, and your SATA drive is running in DMA mode, not SATA.
    For an easy check, go into BIOS and set SATA/RAID to Enabled; your system disk will disappear, and Windows won't boot. If that's the case, go back into BIOS and Disable SATA/RAID.
    You could also check Device Manager to see if there is a listing for SCSI and RAID controllers. If there is no such listing, your HD is operating in IDE mode.

15. Ev0lutionz

uh ok i see IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and SCSI/RAID host controllers, dont see any SATA though.. So if its running in IDE mode, how do i get it to work in SATA?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!