1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

just reinstalled windows 98se

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Nov 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i just reinstalled windows98se on a secondary computer i have at home.

(i dont have the computer next to me so i might be somewhat wrong with computer words)

when i play a video,its no longer 256 colors but 16.

how do i get 256 colors back?

thanks shark

2. Rockn

Rockn

Install the correct drivers for your video card and monitor.

3. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

how do i install the drivers for my video card and monitor?
    (windows98 was preinstalled)

thanks shark

4. BEL6772

BEL6772

If it's a pre-built (Gateway, HP, Dell, etc.) you should have a driver CD that came with it. Pop it in, let it autorun and follow the directions. If you no longer have the CD, go to the company's web site and download the drivers for your model. You'll probably need chipset dirvers, video drivers, sound drivers, modem drivers, and drivers for anything else that came with the system.

Brian

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

"i just reinstalled windows98se on a secondary computer i have at home"

"(windows98 was preinstalled)"

Both of these statements can't be true for one computer.

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    I'll assume you meant you reinstalled W98 overtop of itself. If not, you can explain what you meant.

Anyway, try this,

Restart the PC and keep pressing F8 during the bootup. You want to start tapping F8 after the drives are recognized on the screen but before the Windows splash screen appears. A startup menu with 6 options should appear. Use the “SafeMode” option to start Windows. Once Windows starts in SafeMode do this,

Start>Settings>CP>System>DeviceManager. Click on the "+" next to DisplayAdapter. Now you should see the name of your video card appear underneath. Write down the name. Now right click on the video card and select Remove. Restart Windows, Start>Shutdown>Restart and let it boot into Normal mode. It will reinstall the video card.

If that does not fix it then you need to get the video card driver from the makers website or you should have a CD with the drivers that came with the PC. Post the name of the video card that you wrote down earlier in the process if you need help locating the drivers.

Let us know what happens

7. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

max: my computer is the world known LG ELECTRONICS brand(little humor),bought at kmart.

windows98se was preinstalled. i miswrote about "reinstalled". should be wrote as byran assumed 'wrote over 98'.
    i will look into the advice from folks on this post and will reply with a closure post.

presently i'm using a work computer therefore my reply will take a day or week to response here in techguy

8. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

i ended up using a utilities disk(with drivers,etc) that came with the computer and somehow treked my way into bring my computer back to 256 colors.

thanks everybody

my slogan: the more i learn about computers,the more i learn i dont know about them

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice