1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just remenicin' cause I'm so easily amused

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Greenseason, Sep 21, 2008.

Advertisement
  1. Greenseason

Greenseason Thread Starter

I was walking through a store the other day and saw a 5 terrabite ext. HD for sale and immediately was seven years old again and plinking away on this little Timex home computer that hooked up through the T.V. I dont remember exactly what the specs were but I believe it was called a T-100. I think the thing had 8 meg on board and was about the size of a half a sheet of paper. It came with a book that had programs written out in DOS that did really simple stuff, one of the coolest things you could do with it was prog in a clock, that was about the third thing I did.
    I remember thinking to myself "Self, one of these days these little things are going to do some of the coolest stuff ever." I could see in my minds eye whole worlds created to play in and put on a computer something like what I had before me. That was almost 35 years ago and now I am walking through stores that display the things that I had daydreamed about in another lifetime... That is so freakin' cool.
    Like I said, I am soooo easily amused.

2. kw_5kids

kw_5kids

LOL that reminds me of my Commodore VIC-20 when I was 10 ;o) I haven't thought about that old thing in yrs and yrs.

Thanks for reminding me

3. Davec

Davec Gone but never forgotten

Actually the Timex 100 came with 2K, not 2M and could be expanded with an additional 16K for $200.

4. Greenseason

Its been 30+ years and the excitement of having something so cool at such a young age was the thing. Ask me something about last week and I will probably have fog in that window as well:) Ya know, looking back ... I really hated DOS;) I have a 7 month old daughter in the next room and my mind locks up when I start thinking about what will be available to her when she is my age, but when I was 7 years old I could see things so clearly. I didnt foresee flying cars just o tool in which to create vivid worlds wiithout bounds, now today about the only boundry is our own minds.

5. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

When I was was at school I remember the first kid who had a 'pocket calculator'!! ..... and did he need huge pockets for that monster!!
    It was years before we were allowed to use such new-fangled technology (whitchcraft to the old teachers, I think!) in class, let alone exams!!

How times have moved on as you say.I think the only limit on making these machines smaller, faster etc is the size of ones fingers and the size of the keys. Plus in my case I need reading glasses so a PC the size of a watch would be no use to me as I couldn't see the keys, let alone hit the right one with my two finger typing.

Ramble over .... back to you

Richard

6. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    In high school (1982-1986) I had the Apple 2E with.... 128K of memory!:eek:

I laugh, but that thing did everything I needed; word processing was a little rough.

7. Greenseason

Oh wow, the old calcs,... yeah those things were huge, and a monster of a deal to own, but the suitcase that housed the breifcase that held the calc case made it hardly worth the effort. When I hit sixth grade I remember being told by one of my school mates that at some point in the next few years I would have to purchase one of those monsters, can you believe, I was actually excited. And I am with you, now the tech has went beyond my sight capability. Screens on some of these things are so small it requires a mag glass in frnt of four other mag glasses. LMAO;)

8. Greenseason

In the town that I grew up in they had one Apple store and my grand mother would go with me to let me play while she BSed the sales people for a while as she was hoping for a sale and I was hoping she would find one. Now however I see machines constantly running $1200 and over, two, three and four times as much. My last machine ran about $1600... god I am getting old.

9. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I remember slide rules in high school .....and college :eek:

I took Fortran 4 in college....... ~1966.....punch cards anyone? :D

10. darkangel3

darkangel3

We went to school the same years and I remember them. Learned how to program games on it. :D

11. katonca

katonca

Never messed with games or computers when I was young but I do remember eating Quisp and Quake for breakfast cerial :D

12. Drabdr

Drabdr Moderator

First Name:
    Brad
    What about Trash 80's (TRS80 computers)?? :D

Of course, being near the Tandy center, it may have just been a local thing.

13. darkangel3

darkangel3

We had what I think was a Tandy that we hooked up to the TV. Made by Radio Shack! :D

14. valis

valis Moderator

got a theory as to their disappearance (of course I have a theory for it....:rolleyes:)

My dad worked for Rockwell, thence Lockheed/Martin, and was involved in the space program from a very early age. I got to play with slide rules, but not my younger sister, who actually thought it was a country dance fad.

ANYHOW, my theory as to why you can't find them anymore is that to get to the moon, they actually built a ladder out of them, and then discarded them to burn up on re-entry.

:D

punch cards? Dude, even I don't go back that far.

15. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

I long for an ink well and a pen made from a goose feather :D:p

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752073

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice