1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just upgraded computer, but nothing shows up on the monitor.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toymachine, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. toymachine

toymachine Thread Starter

I just upgraded to the AMD 6000 processor and got a new power supply and motherboard. After putting it all together, I turned my computer on and nothing showed up on the monitor, it just kept flashing between analog and digital in the top left corner. Everything else came on, the fans, HDD, graphics card and everything, I just couldn't get a signal. I checked my mouse and keyboard and they weren't getting any power. Is it possible the motherboard is faulty, or did I maybe miss a connection? Or could it be the processor? Is there a way of knowing what is wrong? If you need any more information about my hardware just ask.

2. Soundy

Soundy

Coulda missed a power connection - there should be two for the motherboard, the big 14-pin connector and a smaller 4-pin one.

Are you sure that board supports the specific CPU you're putting in it? Just because it physically fits doesn't mean it's supported.

3. toymachine

Yea I have both of the power connections in and the motherboard supports the processor I have. I find it wierd that the mouse and keyboard don't work as well as the input to the monitor. I had someone come over yesterday and they didn't know what the problem was either.

4. bigbear

bigbear

Try clearing the cmos

5. Soundy

Soundy

Clearing the CMOS may help... part two of my question, are you sure THAT REVISION of the BIOS supports that CPU? Sometimes an older BIOS requires an update to support a faster CPU - for example, an old Dell dual-PII server I have supported 233MHz and 266MHz CPUs the way I got it... once I updated the BIOS, it would support 300MHz and 333MHz CPUs as well.

6. toymachine

Hmmm, how do I update the BIOS if I can't even see whats on the monitor?

7. Soundy

Soundy

Well, you'd have to plug in a "lesser" CPU so the thing actually starts up... assuming that is, in fact, the problem.

8. toymachine

Well I talked to someone that works with computers and he said I should either strip my harddrive or buy a new one. I guess when you put a new motherboard in the harddrive can't run on it or something. I don't know i've never heard of this and it still doesn't solve the no power to the mouse or keyboard but, could this be the problem?

9. Soundy

Soundy

Ummm, I've never heard of that either, but a quick way to test it is to simply unplug the hard drive. If that is, indeed, the issue, the monitor should come on and you should see the standard POST screen - memory count, searching for drives, etc.

You MAY run into a problem if your drive has an existing XP system that you're trying to run, in that it probably won't have the drivers loaded for your new board's drive controller, but that won't keep the monitor from coming on - it will start loading Windows and end with a bluescreen and an "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" error. But that's another issue that's moot if you don't get the machine to start up anyway.

I hope that person doesn't make his living working with computers - he'll starve to death.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

OK how about telling us some of the hardware...all we know is a cpu and that is hardly emough to figure out the problem. Motherboard model and make, ram model and maker, psu same....video card brand and model...does the board have onboard video? Are you using it?
    Hard drives BTW don't cause failure to post, that is absurd. I mean this could be defaulted to onboard video and you are running pci-x16 video card you need to explain everything better!

11. toymachine

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor
    PC CHIPS A33G V1.0 AM2 SiS 761 GX Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
    Rosewill RX850-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 850W Power Supply
    A-DATA Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
    Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT

I am able to plug my monitor into the motherboard itself, but I don't know if that means it has onboard video.

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

It does. Plug into the vga port on the mobo and you should see a post. then go into the bios and disable onboard video and your video card should then work.

13. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Check the 'Clear CMOS' jumper, PCChips motherboards often have it set to 'Clear', you need to change it to 'Normal'.

14. toymachine

I've tried that but it still didn't work, i've tried the onboard card and that wasn't working either.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you have exhausted all those then either ram is incompatible or mobo is defective.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice