1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just walked out of Best Buy and I need help

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Blank75, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blank75

Blank75 Thread Starter

I was going to buy a new computer today and was going to buy the HP A1730N with 2048MB, DDR2 Memory, 320GB, and AMD 64 live. Turns out they were sold out so I didn’t buy it but I’m hoping I can get some opinions on some of the things they were telling me.
    Can Microsoft Office 2000 work with Vista? I only use outlook, excel, and word and I don’t do anything to complicated.

Is the Anti-virus that Best Buy sells from Microsoft the only one that works properly with Vista? I can’t see Norton, AG, or Etrust not having antivirus for Vista. $150 seems expensive for antivirus.

How difficult is it to remove all the free trial offers that come with a new computer? They tell me “it’s not like the old days and I pretty much have to have a professional do it to free up the space”.

Is it true that computers do not come with restore disks and professionals need to make them?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    1) Not sure about Office 2000 ... 2003 seems to work OK

2) The FREE AVG anti virus seems to be working OK.

3) Takes a little time and research ... But the junk doesn't really hurt till you can weed it out.

4) THEY SAID WHAT ??? :eek: ... HP comes with a procedure to burn your own recovery DVDs.

Sounds like they're trying to drum up repair business.

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Outlook 2000 works fine with Vista, although after Office 2007, I would never go back.

The latest Symantec Antivirus works fine with Vista. I currently use the 10.2 corporate version designed for Vista. Try this website for compatibility issues: http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List#Office_Tools

Skip whomever told you that you'd need a professional to clean your system. They are just trying to get your money. The additions would be AOL, games that require some spyware (like Polar Bear bowling), and remote access software, like the stuff Geek Squad installs.

Ask here if you aren't sure.

Courtney sends....

4. Blank75

Blank75 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and advice! :)

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Office 2000 does work but not perfectly, a few compatibility issues came up during an install for me and only one entry showed for Disc 2 in the uninstall section rather then the normal two. Otherwise it appeared to work. Office 2003 and 2007 however are much nicer, have more features, and work better.

To uninstall what you don't want just uninstall it...nothing too hard about it.

Many companies have released Vista compatible antivirus products. 2007 version of Norton antivirus works fine with Vista and its even a free upgrade if you have a valid 2006 subscription. AVG's free anti-virus also works with Vista.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544676

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice