1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Just want some advice from someone in the industry

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by lilLB, Oct 8, 2008.

1. lilLB

lilLB Thread Starter

Hello everyone,
    I am currently a student at majoring in CIS. My dream or goal is to in some way make video games. My friend and I have thought of making our own game now possibly using the Torque engine, he knows a little more about it than me. We have come up with some good ideas for games but neither of us has enough programming experience yet to start to implement them, and since we have pretty ambitious goals with our game it will be no easy task to implement. But that aside, does anyone here who is a game programmer or has some experience in the gaming industry have any advice on making a game.
    My friend always mentions also about XNA, and putting our game on XBox Live Arcade for exposure. He's explained it a little bit to me but I don't know the details and the only thing im concerned about is losing the rights to our game by letting Microsoft take it. I think he said we reserve the rights to the ideas or something but anyone who knows for sure how that works let me know.
    Also is a BS in Computer Information Science necessary or preferred for a job in the gaming industry? I'm sure it won't hurt, but you always see those Gibbs or ITT Tech commercials claiming you can be making games in 6 months or whatever and I'm at a 4 year college paying about $10,000 a year. So do you think its worth it? I'm not thinking about dropping out because I'm sure the degree can't hurt and I like school for the most part. Just wondering how much better off in the gaming industry someone from a 4 year college is compared to one of those other programs.

Sorry for the long winded post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!