Just Want To Make Some Comments To Windows 7 Users

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The Security Monthly Quality Rollup and the Microsoft .NET Framework updates for this "patch Tuesday" will take longer to install and configure than they usually do, and there will be multiple restarts.
If your computer appears to freeze or lock up, be patient and wait for the process to finish.
Make sure to install the Servicing Stack Update that appears afterwards.

On or after the January 2020 "patch Tuesday", Microsoft plans to launch a nag screen to encourage you to upgrade your computer to Windows 10.
You can read about it HERE.

If you're using the Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus app, Microsoft is no longer going to provide definition updates for it after the January 2020 "patch Tuesday".
It's my guess Microsoft will launch a nag screen to alert users that it's no longer being supported.
It probably won't hurt anything to keep using it for a short time, but it will eventually need to be replaced with a different antivirus app.

If you're using the "Pro" version of Windows 7, I will be doing some testing after the January 2020 "patch Tuesday" to see if security updates can be obtained and used beyond that post-End Of Life date.
If it can be done, that will extend free support until October 2020 or October 2021 or later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, as it did take a bit longer to do these updates and I did get the Servicing Stack Update at the end.

Frank, what about Windows 7 Home Premium? Will there possibly be updates for this one?

Would I need to get this possibly?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-7-...608316&hash=item3d90c0bef3:g:3zQAAOSwqSRdSOS~

If I did get this, would it install over my Win home Pre. so I would not have to do lots of updates and worry about drivers?

Of do I just need this to update?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-7-...a=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The post-EOL security updates that I will be testing are for:
Windows Embedded Standard 7 - which is supported until October 2020.
Windows Embedded POSReady 7 - which is supported until October 2021.

Windows 7 Professional uses the same code as these 2 operating systems, so it's my guess they will work.

This is similar to what was done with Windows XP Professional so support could be extended for another 5 years.
This was done by installing security updates for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 - which was supported until April 2019.

This method of extending support did not work with Windows XP Home Edition, so I doubt it will work with Windows 7 Home Premium.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The December update whacked one of my windows 7 PC's, left me with a low lighted blueish screen with nothing on it. Finally ended up going into safe mode and had a restore from the night before and restored it OK. Upgraded to windows 10Pro 1/3/2020 with no issues now , now I got to do my other one.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I've got 3 Dells running Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit.
The December updates installed fine in them and haven't caused any issues that I'm aware of.
I'm anxious for February 11, 2020 to arrive so I can test the Windows Embedded Standard 7 updates.

---------------------------------------------------------------

plodr

Liz
I have 4 Windows 7 computers. I did not install .NET for Dec. because it was not a security patch. I also don't install Quality rollups. I install the smaller Security only update.
I go through the patches here
https://www.ghacks.net/2019/12/10/microsoft-windows-security-updates-december-2019-overview/

I had no issues on any of our four computers installing only the security update and the IE cumulative security update. We have a mix of 32 bit and 64 bit and Home and Pro.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm pretty sure the post-EOL embedded updates won't work in the "Home Premium" version of Windows 7.
Unfortunately, I can't test and confirm that because all my Windows 7 computers have the "Professional" version.

If they're available each month, I install all of these Windows 7 updates:
Security Monthly Quality Rollup
Servicing Stack
Internet Explorer 11
Microsoft .NET Framework

---------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online