1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

JUXTAPOSE -- the new buzz word?

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by hotskates, Feb 4, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

While out washing my car this afternoon, I must have heard "juxtapose" said 3 times on the radio. Earlier today I heard it twice on t.v. And I have recently been seeing a lot of this word in the newspaper. I am not used to hearing this word used so much. It seems like its being thrust onto the media big time lately. It kinda seems like someone, somewhere said, lets start using this cool word :rolleyes: I have nothing against the word and found out today that it means "to place side by side". I am having fun looking/listening for that word now that I have discovered it and I am looking forward to seeing it being used more and more.

I even googled the word and there are 189,000 entries. Wow!

2. barfly

barfly

You can
    with me anytime :D

3. Big-K

Big-K

I havn't heard that word more than maybe twice in the last year.

4. alex_holker

alex_holker

I blame it on the English teachers.

Alex

5. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

I read a lot of books and I was surprised that I had never even seen that word in a book. I don't think I had ever heard that word before this week and now I'm hearing it all over the place........ :confused: Could be a coincidence :rolleyes: Now I will probably not ever hear it again ;)

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I hated English class. The only thing I hated worse was my 8th grade English teacher. May he (and I use he loosely) rot in hell. He made my life miserable for an entire school year.

I saw him shortly after my Navy hitch and told him what I thought of him. I was hoping he would take a poke at me but I knew he wouldn't. Then my little brother had him and he started the same crap with him. I went to school. My brother was removed from his class and I felt better for a few days.

The same sick individual then started on the same brother outside of English class. I had to physically threaten this little dweeb to put a stop to it. He should be in prison but instead he is retired and sells antique furniture.

I hate that dude.

7. Big-K

Big-K

Wow....that is weird. All of my english teachers have been female. I havn't had even one of those 'old crusty' teachers so far. You know, the kind whos aging beyond belief and everybody literally hates. I've been lucky so far.

8. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

This guy was not a guy Big-K. This man made me into a homophobe for a long time. I grew up and got over it at about 28 years old and today I am normal and accept people for what they are. This person was and still is a sadist. Nothing to do with sexuality but at 13-14 years old you don't quite grasp the good and bad in everyone.

I am over the Gay Bashing, but this dude scarred me for a long time. It could have just as easily been a sadistic herto that mistreated poor rural kids.

9. alex_holker

alex_holker

The teachers here weren't bad, it was just the subject matter. In Years 11 and 12, English consisted almost entirely of writing essays under a time limit on English subjects (themes, imagery, that sort of thing). Virtually everyone at my school hated English, for us it was writing a great many words in a comparatively short time, being very wordy about things that didn't matter and we didn't care about.

Alex

10. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

"We don't need no educaton"
    "We don't need no thought control"
    "No dark sarcasm in the classroom"

11. cheese

cheese

Great song ;)

12. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I like it.;)

13. Big-K

Big-K

Yup, did you know Korn did a cover of the whole song?

14. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Well its been 2 weeks and I haven't heard anyone say JUXTAPOSE........thats the good news:)

FYI.........new buzz word that I have heard 5-6 times this week is.....IMPLOSION. It means:
    A violent collapse inward. It seems to have taken the place of the word explode at least in the way I have heard it used recently.

15. twotugs

twotugs

One of Rush Limbaugh's favorite words, when describing the Democratic party. Durned if he didn't use it again today!

Not that I listen to the show or anything...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326803

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice