1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

JVC Amplifier wont play sounds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mipit, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mipit

Mipit Thread Starter

I know this is kind of a sore thumb in a forum full of computer related problems, but when I thought who could help me with this kind of stuff, I could only think of you guys.

Problem:
    I recently found a Amplifier on the side of the road, it hadn't rain recently, and it had no scratches, scuffs or anything like that. It even had its power cord still bunched up with a easy-tie. So it must of been well respected when it was being used.
    I brought it home and plugged it in. The display lit up and all the buttons on the front worked. When I plugged in a stereo and a speaker, nothing played even though it was set up right. The speaker and radio worked on a second, not so healthy amp, so it must be the amp's problem. I may have narrowed it down when I turned the amp itself onto radio, and it started to pick up radio waves and told me if I had the right frequency and how strong the channel was, so I am assuming its a output problem. When the case was opened up, the only fuse I could find wasn't blown, from what I could tell. (It did have a bulge, like a bit of sodder, but the wire didn't shake when the machine was moved.

Stereo Amp:
    JVC RX-305 FM/AM Computer Controlled Receiver
    Radio:
    aiwa CA-DW480
    Speaker:
    Dynaco A25 (I think, they look similar)

Picture:
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the bad image quality, poor lighting and im using a webcam.

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

The fuse is probably for power.
    If the amp circuit is having problems it will usually use a relay
    or differential circuit to turn off the output.
    One thing you might check.
    Look for a tape monitor switch and make sure it is not on.
    The display would show something like mon or tape mon.
    That bypasses the inputs and monitors the tape input.

3. Mipit

Mipit Thread Starter

I see what you mean with the tape button, as the button on my other amp stops the sound from playing.
    This new amp though, the closest thing to it is Video Sound, Tape 2. Which displays a Tape 2 Monitor on the screen. But it doesn't alter anything when off or on that I could see.

4. Mipit

Mipit Thread Starter

I can try and take pictures of specific parts with my webcam if needed.

5. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

If there is a component out in the audio output,
    you would probably need to go though them with a meter
    even if there is something visibly burnt on the board.

6. Mipit

Mipit Thread Starter

With a volt-meter right? I have one, but I would have to go fetch it at the shop. Ill tell you if it works tomorrow.

7. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

You would need to use the low ohm scale or diode check funtion on the meter.
    If the unit uses an integrated circuit for combined outputs it would be a big
    chip mounted to a heatsink.
    If it uses transistors,they are probably mounted to the back of the unit.
    Want to check those for short first.
    Those all in in chips can be expensive.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice