1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kaspersky 7.0 avp.exe

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by swampview, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. swampview

swampview Thread Starter

Windows XP Home Edition
    5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600

Since installing Kaspersky anti-virus 7.0, I am greeted each day by a "Previous Application Launch Failed" form referring me to a documents and setting folder containing AVP dmp files. When I turn off the computer, I get "End Program AVP.EXE", followed by DWWIN.EXE DLL failed to initialize.

Kaspersky tech services says that the problem is remnants of Norton. I have used the removal tool several times, and manually removed everything I can find about Symantec. The only thing left, according to Ktech, is a file in the registry. I don't know how to get rid of that.

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions to the problem?
    Thanks.

2. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hi swampview. If you go to start and then run type regedit and then click ok this will take you into the registry try hklu and down to software expand the file and look for anything to do with norton/Symantec. Once done exit and "I urge you to be extremely careful"

3. allheart55

allheart55

It isn't a good idea to have anyone, (clearly a beginner) mess with the registry. It can create much bigger issues. Please wait for someone with experience that will give you the help you need. Thank you!:eek:

4. swampview

swampview Thread Starter

I have been working with Symantec/Norton to find out exactly which folders in the registry are devoted exclusively to their software with an eye toward deleting the folders.
    Meanwhile Kaspersky says that I have a 7.0.0.124 pre-release version of their anti-virus program (purchased at Amazon). The first publicly released version is 7.0.0.125. They have suggested that I uninstall the old version and install the new.
    I think I'll try uninstall/install first before going into the registry. I'll let you know the results.

5. rka0

rka0 Banned

Hi allheart55. I'm a beginner also and have entered the registry to find wayward software. I admit I do it tentatively but without an element of bravdo we will learn nothing. I am aware of the dangers and so is swampview as he is it seems only going in as a last resort and rightly so.

6. swampview

swampview Thread Starter

Thanks to all who offered help.
    I have installed the .125 version as recommended by Kaspersky tech support.
    I have removed everything I can find in the registry about Symantec/Norton.
    The same error messages still appear.
    I will continue to work with Kaspersky tech support to see if they have any more ideas.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice