1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kaspersky anti virus - version 6

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Lana, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lana

Lana Thread Starter

I have used Kaspersky anti virus personal version 5 for a year and have been satisfied with it.
    Last week I upgraded to version 6 when I renewed. Version 6 will cause my IE pages to hang. For example, if I open a new session of IE it will never get to my start yahoo page. Other web pages will not open either. If I exit (shut down) Kaspersky, my web pages will then open, but that defeats the purpose of having an anti virus.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what settings I could change (either on IE or Kaspersky ) so that it will accept IE web pages? Has anyone else had this problem with Kaspersky anti virus version 6?

The installation was done on a Toshiba laptop about a year old.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. KMFDMputer

KMFDMputer

My best advice to you is to get rid of it. It's faulty software, plain and simple.

I had it on one of my computers and it just stunk.(yes version 6) It even falsely labels problems where problems don't exist and whatsmore, heh, it reports good health where there is none.

Get rid of it. It's BS.

3. Lana

Lana Thread Starter

KMFDMputer,

Thank you for the reply. I believe you are correct.

Does anyone have other suggestions for an antivirus?
    I will not go back to symantec as it was too controlling.
    Otherwise I will search this forum to see if I can find what people like....

Thank you.

4. KMFDMputer

KMFDMputer

If you want to pay for something, I highly suggest Spysweeper by Webroot, you can get that here: http://www.webroot.com/

But there are a lot of very good free programs to use. I recommend: Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware, AVG free edition, and SpywareBlaster. (in fact, I encourage you to download and use all of the free software I mentioned)

Here's a good site with a great reputation that has download mirrors for AVG: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download886.html

You could also use the search function at the lower left of majorgeeks.com to search for other anti-virus/anti-spyware/ malware items. Also, please, make sure you install a firewall.

Edit: dumb question on my part. I forgot you do use IE. Please consider switching to Firefox for greater security.

5. Lana

Lana Thread Starter

KMFDMputer,

Thank you for taking the time to give this additional information.

Kaspersky was worse than BS. In the 5 years that I've owned a desk top and lap top, this is the first time I had to do a complete recovery (usually system restore to an earlier date will do the trick). Luckily this Toshiba lap top came with a recovery CD that worked very well - a sweet computer.

My first complete take down was by this pile of sh*t Kaspersky.

Since Norton Personal Firewall was due to expire soon, I found firewalls on the site you referred me to http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads34.html and downloaded a 15 day free trial of zone alarm. I see lavasoft also has a firewall. Do you have any preference in firewalls?

I am going through the info you gave and will pick anti viruses out of these choices.

THANK YOU !!!

PS I wil also seriously look into Firefox. IE does not always work the best on my home Gateway and it is time for a change in browser as well.

6. lancalot

lancalot

will back up KMFD on the AVG as an all roung good performer as an anti virus. will also give top marks for spy-sweeper for threats to your computer from bad sites. would also sugest Zone alarm for your firewall. had it for about 4 years now with no problems. as for firefox, It comes down to your preference but I use opera and find it faster than firefox, and just as secure..

7. lancalot

lancalot

as a PS. I would TOTALLY agree that norton products SUCK WITH A VENGANCE...............

8. Lana

Lana Thread Starter

Lancelot

Thank you for this additional info. I will explore these further tonight when I’m done with work.

Kaspersky 6 kept it’s hooks in after I did a system restore. I could not access system restore anymore after the restore as well as other problems including not accessing half of the internet sites I go to. This anti virus program was worse than any viruses I’ve had – at least those I could get rid of – by using ‘restore wizard’ and/or following advice on this forum. STAY AWAY FROM KASPERSKY 6 !

THANK YOU for your responses!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice