1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

KaZaA - causes IE to freeze when key pressed ????

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by theMusicMan, Jun 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

Hi

Does anyone have any idea as to whay when KaZaA is running, my IE6 will launch and go to my home page (google) but if I type anything in the search box, the moment I type, IE6 crashes and locks up.

I can however use cut and paste to get text into the google search box when KaZaA is running. All works fine when KaZaA in not running and is the same with KaZaA and KaZaA Lite.

Any ideas?

2. rawmeat

rawmeat

You need to remove KAZAA as it is spyware. Go to lavasoft.com for ad-aware or search for spy-bot and run either one. Spy-bot seems to get rid of more than ad-aware, but both should remove KAZAA.

3. jabarnut

jabarnut

I have to agree with rawmeat!
    Kazaa is loaded with spyware. They even have a program (Brilliant Technologies) that is downloaded with Kazaa that will alow them to ultimately use some of your "Spare CPU cycles"!:mad:

Download Ad-Aware for sure- You'll be amazed how much junk is on your computer if you haven't tried it before!

Note: A lot of those file sharing programs wont work once you get rid of the spyware- Imagine that!

But, there are some alternatives that DON'T have spyware!

Have a nice day:)

4. xpuser

xpuser

you may want to check out this somewhat 'modified' version of Kazaa, it has the spyware/adware removed. If the site is down, use the original Kazaa to find it.

http://www.kazaalite.com/

Cheers,

XPU

5. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

Hiya all and many thanks for your replies.

However, I have both KaZaA and KaZaALite installed - I just use Lite right now as there are know issues with Altnet when you use KaZaA.

I have Adaware with the latest 5.83 definition file which usually picks up nothing after I use Lite, but picks up Cydoor spyware if I have used KaZaA.

I am in control of the spyware issue but the problem I have relates to using Internet Explorer when KaZaA or KaZaALite is running. If I try to type anything into say the search box of Google when KaZaA is running, that instance of Internet Explorer freezes and I get the usual 'report this to Microsoft' dialogue box showing etc. If I then want to be able to effectively use Internet Explorer, I have to shut down KaZaA or KaZaALite.

Any ideas?

6. xpuser

xpuser

I just opened both Kazaa and Explorer, trying to mimic your issue. No problems.

I don't know enough about this stuff to really advise,...but is it possible that Kazaa 'borrows' the IE shell for its start page..? It sort of looks familiar in an Explorer kind of way. Could there be some kind of conflict thats not letting multiple instances of the explorer shell to run?

Just an uneducated guess.

XPU

7. xpuser

xpuser

8. snuffynra

snuffynra

hello, my name is greg. i have had the same problems. the problem is mcafee virus scan. the adaware stuff will not help.
    you have to go to add and remove programs.
    click virus scan.
    click change.
    and repair.
    if your virus scan is from a cd, then you will have to put the cd in.
    that will solve your problem. the adaware program is a good idea but kazaa puts 7 spyware programs on your pc and it will
    not work without it. DO NOT SHUT VIRUS SCAN DOWN WHEN ON KAZAA. lots of bad things there. i hope i've helped.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/84721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice