1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kazaa?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by midlandman, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. midlandman

midlandman Thread Starter

Does anyone know what happened to Kazaa?I downloaded some MP3's from Kazaa and iMesh and they won't play.It plays for about 10 seconds then it sounds like a fax machine.
    Does anyone know anything about this?Did the record companies figure out a way to block the MP3's?
    I checked around the net and couldn't find anything about this.

2. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

I would look elsewhere for the problem. Your PC would be a good start. It is unlikely that there could be a mass jamming over the P2P.

I just picked off an MP3 from there. It plays fine.

- Castleheart :cool:

3. anais4uk

anais4uk

We had this problem a while ago, found out that RIAA had corrupted files. It is sort of hit and miss at the moment so try downloading the same file off other users and eventually you will find a genuine file.

Alos take a look at this site http://www.geocities.com/ian_l_williams/

Good luck Anais

4. midlandman

Thanks for the info.I know the problem isn't with my PC,I thought the RIAA was up to something.It'll be interesting how the court cases in the US will go.
    Thanks again!!...Rick

5. Cédric

Cédric

Go for Kazaalite first, Kazaa's full of spyware...
    Ceddy

6. Topkat

Topkat

As Cedric has pointed out, Kazaa is full of spyware, and if you're going to share files then use KazaaBegone from here to get rid of last of the baddies Kazaa leaves behind. Then, download Kazaalite.
    The problem you seem to be encountering though is an old tactic used by the RIAA to disrupt the sharing of copyright material on the Kazaa fasttrack network. They make 'fake' files avaliable with white noise in the middle of the song. Since I can only assume that this is what you've encountered I feel that we can't help you with this problem any further, since illegal activities including trading/sharing copyright material, is against the forum rules.

7. midlandman

Thanks for the replies,guys.I never thought this was a "problem",I was just wondering if anyone here had any information pertaining to the MP3 battle going on.And it was what I thought,the RIAA mucking things up.
    But in my opinion,if they shut down Kazaa and iMesh,somebody else will come with a different way to share MP3's.

8. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Actually MLM, Kazaa has very recently made great strides to collaborate with the music industry. The RIAA has given a less than enthusiastic response but I think they will come around in time and in the end be part of creating something that will benefit all.

Kazaa has a remarkable platform established and in place for the distribution of music to the public..... I mean think about it! The music industry could come to very agreeable terms and make hundreds of millions of dollars - if - they try to use that network instead of trying to strangle it. They would be fools not to!

In the end I think they will and without trying to stamp out every last file swap. They will do it by making it so convenient and inexpensive to purchase songs over the net that the majority will do that rather than trace it down elsewhere. In the end they will make far more money selling a billion 50 cent songs rather than a million $15 CDs.

- Castleheart ;)

http://msn-cnet.com.com/2100-1027_3-5088184.html?part=msn-cnet&subj=cdf&tag=mymsn

9. bookime wood

bookime wood

As other posters have pointed out, it is fake files, the RIAA have been flooding p2p for 18 months or so.

They now scan p2p users and there shared olders, quite a few writs have been issued.

Use this program, it is not the complete answer to anon file sharing but it keeps out the known companies from scanning you.

http://www.methlabs.org/methlabs.htm

the program is peer guardian

10. moebius

moebius

Try Kazaa Lite K++, it contains an IP blocker which blocks RIAA out.

and heres to RIAA - u ppl have billions in ur pockets, u wipe ur ***** with 100$ bills and u wanr more?

11. midlandman

I have to wonder how far they will go with this.I think they'd rather have us pay $15-$20 for a CD with one or two good tunes on it,as opposed to $1-$2 for just the songs we like.
    The music industry is like pro sports...there's too many people making too much money.I won't give them the little money I have.

12. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

I think they'd rather do that too, MLM. That has been the thrust behind their approach for some time. But in the end I think monetary pressures (not their own good will or the public or legislators ) will bring them to the table - albeit complaining all the way.

They were the only dealer selling cars - the market was theirs and paid what they demanded. It was getting out of hand - but as long as people were buying, they just couldn't see past the color of the money.

Then one day they realized that an amazing highway system had been constructed that went to practically every home in America (and to millions around the world!) and they realized, lo and behold, that folks were beg, borrowing and stealing cars elsewhere and taking them home on the highway, rather than deal with them anymore.

Their solution: Close down the highways! How nearsighted!

When they realize that this highway system is a vast conduit to get their goods to the consumer - they didn't have to set it up - they didn't have to pay to set it up - it comes with very little maintenance

- AND -

come to grips with the fact that the prices can no longer be like they're the only one selling Plywood the day before a hurricane (and.... yes you can buy just one or two sheets and not have to buy the whole bundle) - I just gotta think that someone in their group will finally convince the rest what a good deal it can turn out to be. ( I think they already realize this - they just can't quite bring themselves to loosen their grip on those dollar bills!) Time will tell.

-C

PS: And by the way RIAA.... a dollar a song is too much! Time to trim the old expenses a bit. Cut out some perks. Keep the old check book a little closer to the pocket. Tell all those artists we love, that they will indeed get rich - just maybe not filthy rich and certainly not at the expense of their public. They won't run away!
    Try spending like the rest of us - like you had to earn every dollar!

13. midlandman

Well said.If all the procedes of the sale of a CD went to the artists and MFG's,then it might be a little different.I think the only people that will feel the pinch with on-line music distribution will be the distributors and countless other middlemen.

14. DavidPryor

DavidPryor

Helpfull hint:
    I had Kazaa light for a while, until I called Gateway and Dell, and they both said that Kazaa Lite ALSO has spyware. My computer later crashed... I dont suggest downloading music files for a while anyways because of the government cracking down on the Mp3ers.

-David Pryor

15. Flrman1

Flrman1

Well they didn't know what they were talking about. Kazaalite has no spyware.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice