1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kazza In The Uk (Are we safe)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by PE2000, Sep 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PE2000

PE2000 Thread Starter

Hope you can help, I live in the UK, and use Kazza quite a lot, does the Ria`s powers extend to the Uk or not. I was really worried when I found out about this and have stopped using it until I find out if us Uk users have anything to worry about.

PE2000 -Steve-

2. byon

byon

well, if you are using kazaa and downloading illegal files, you are in the risk of getting fined afew hundreds to thousands or even spend your whole lifetime in jail.

3. PE2000

PE2000 Thread Starter

But who would this be actioned by RIA or F.A.S.T

4. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

If you have kaaza then you might want to scan for spyware ;)

5. jbcalg

jbcalg

riaa is u.s based, doubt they could touch you in the u.k.

f.a.s.t. is the u.k. software anti piracy group - http://www.fast.org.uk/ - and it's efforts may have some bearing on your question - but it doesn't look like the u.k. has the same type of laws (as in the u.s.) where a 3rd party can get court orders etc to force ISPs to release customers names etc

you need to make your decision about participating in not recognizing (ie paying for) copyright material and then act accordingly - maybe look for u.k. based file sharing forums, websites, see what's happening locally

6. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

The RIAA can't touch anyone, at all, period. They are not government, they are a private company. However, they can report you to people that do have power, as can any other company. The difference is RIAA has lots of money and news coverage to scare people with.

7. putasolution

putasolution

8. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

No canadian`s have been charged yet ....eh !:D

9. mobo

mobo

doesn't matter cause all thhe lawyers and judges are on unemployment as well :D

10. PE2000

PE2000 Thread Starter

Thanx guys for your help, it helped a lot. This thread is now closed :)

11. jbcalg

jbcalg

well, can i pop it open for a quick link ;)

saw this somewhere else, adds a little to the thread:

UK unlikely to sue P2P file sharers after US backlash
    Yinka Adegoke

The UK and international music trade bodies have said they're unlikely to follow US colleagues in suing individuals for copyright infringement, following early signs of a media backlash in the US.

http://www.newmediazero.com/nma/story.asp?id=243960

12. cubs567

cubs567

Looks like i'm moving to britain then, lol. RIAA does have power though, that's where you are mistaken. They have already charged and sued people and have actually won. I think the number of people that have been identified is 1375 or something like that out of 60,000,000. Haha. Anyways, if you want to combat RIAA, go to

www.eff.org

To check if you know your a file sharer, go to:

http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/riaasubpoenas/

13. panzer999

panzer999

To check if you know your a file sharer, go to:

http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/riaasubpoenas/

Putting your IP address in there is kinda like saying "Here I am!"...then giving them driving directions to your house :D

Why would anyone want to use Kazza anyhow?? I haven't seen a file yet that I would want to spend even a night in jail for.

What makes even less since is that you KNOW someone is watching...but you are still taking a chance, because you never know how this will all turn out.

But you can be pretty sure that with all the money the RIAA has, this copyright infringement is going to stop. May take 5, 10 years, but it will stop.

My two copper coins

14. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

I wouldn't spend a night in jail for a song either-but I still download. The chances are incredibly low of me being prosecuted for it and im not saying that makes copyright infringement OK when you don't get caught. If I do get busted, I'll kick some serious RIAA @55 if any of their people are in the court room :D

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice