1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

KB2761465 update won't install on Vista SP2

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by atenford, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atenford

atenford Thread Starter

Hello-has anyone figured out how to get this update to install? In my case, it is to correct the possibility of intruders in Explorer9 and is a critical update.
    I have tried many times and ways to do this, including microsoft fix-it, gone to msn website and done what they recommended etc.
    On the few occasions where the computer said that installation was successful it then reverted on the restarted after failing to do stage 3 to 100%.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, x64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2941 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 467870 MB, Free - 329288 MB; D: Total - 9066 MB, Free - 1264 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTek Computer INC., NARRA2
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. atenford

atenford Thread Starter

I received an e-mail notifying me that Val Ramirez answered my query but when I answered the e-mail I got a quick message back from this site asking to not send e-mails. I don't see where there is a reply logged in on this thread-I am new here and just learning.
    One thing Val Ramirez did is direct me to the update log file which showed some fatal errors which are fixable by repairing "Microsoft.Net Framework 4 Client Profile."
    To do this I get to the list of programs and click "Uninstall" then double-click the above program. When I do this, the system administrator asks if I am sure I want to "Uninstall" this program------it says nada about "change" or "repair" and so I am afraid to proceed.
    Any ideas how to proceed to get Windows to "Repair.Net Framework 4 Client Profile to its original state" ?

Thank you...........8N.

3. huggie54

huggie54

Hiya,you can uninstall it reboot,then go to microsoft download center and download and install anew

4. atenford

atenford Thread Starter

Hi Huggies-thanks for your help. I downloaded the file from Microsoft and saved it on the desktop then very bravely proceeded with the uninstall. Well....wouldn't you know that after answering the "are you sure?" question a new window opened up with two options, one of which was "repair". So it did a repair and then I rebooted and tried to install the darn update but it still failed .
    The windows update log included the message "Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070643: cumulative security update for internet explorer 9 for windows vista KB2761465.
    The cure for that error message is supposed to be to repair the ms net framework 4 client profile...oh well, maybe I'll try it again.

....8N

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.
    (Click the green "Download latest version" link)

It'll overwrite and replace version 4.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. atenford

atenford Thread Starter

Hello Flavallee-thanks for your help. I installed Framework 4.5 as you suggested and rebooted and then tried to install the KB276145 update but it failed. Still no luck-I will try a repair on the 4.5 and then reboot and redownload the KB file from MSN.
    This am's trial was confusing as the update log file has a lot of refernces to microsoft security essentials updating.

8N.

7. atenford

atenford Thread Starter

So I 'repaired' Framework 4.5, rebooted, downloaded the update from MSN and it did not install.
    Near the start I got Handler FATAL:CBS called ERROR with 0x80070643
    At the end I got WARNING WU client fails cclientare recorder Remove Service with Error 080248014

Oh boy, this is beginning to look hopeless! oh well.

8N

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!