1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

KDE Kmail problem

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by dalani, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dalani

dalani Thread Starter

I have KDE 3.2 on my MDK10 and I can't send mail. The mail is configured on port 25, and 110 and the firewall is configed to allow access. I can receive mail but when I try sending message it's a no go.

any help would be appreciated

2. JTM

JTM

Sounds like you are running a mailserver locally, true?

If not, have you verified your mailserver your sending out of is configured to send on port 25? Many servers run a copy of exim on port 26 as a backup, try that.

3. dalani

dalani Thread Starter

My computer at home email is configured with a dial up ISP. My firewall has all ports blocked except ssh and SMTP. exim? don't know that one.
    please explain

4. Headrush

Headrush

Just to be clear, are you running a mail server or are you just grabbing your email from the email account provided by your ISP?

You do not need port 25 open to incoming traffic unless you are running a mail server.

Did you configure an outgoing mail service in the Kmail setting for sending?

5. dalani

dalani Thread Starter

Yes, I recieve my email from my ISP email account. I can recieve email from that account I just can't seem to send the mesages I have queued up in the outbox. Opening these messages and sending them doesn't work either.

I did configure the outgoing mail service in Kmail. I wonder if settings in MDK10 (computer config) might interfere somehow or some startup setting in Linux. (Makes me wish sometimes the distros would let the GUI handle configurations).

6. Headrush

Headrush

If the settings are correct in Kmail, then any other settings shouldn't matter. What happens when you click the send button? Any messages?

To make sure your connection out to your ISP's server is working correctly, can you do this in konsole:
    Code:
    telnet mail.yourisp.com 25
    and tell me what you get. Replace mail.yourisp.com with the address of your ISP address for sending mail.

7. dalani

dalani Thread Starter

at console, I get
    "bash: telnet: command not found"
    I guess telnet's a ping equivalent. Not sure if that's a switched on service on my Linux. Do you know the ssh equivalent? My firewall allows it and it's available.

from Kmail when sending mail I get
    "failed to send (some) queued messages"

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!