kde not working on slackware 10.2

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

oldunion

im on a toshiba satelite a25. i have a trident cyberaladdin graphics card. im currently on mandrake 10 with kde, and it works flawlessly, it was easier to install than windows xp.

i wanted to step up to something more serious after finding my way around mandrake, so i downloaded slackware 10.2. i fdisked and set up a swap and 2 hd partitions (/ and /home). As far as i can see, slackware installed fine. i got to darkstar login, in as root, and so i went to load up my gui. "startx" used to just go to a black screen and then come back to the command line, now it goes to a screen with distorted colors (like the kind of screen youd get if you were playing NES and slammed your fist on it). Typing startkde says cannot open display, cannot connect to xserver and then it will say something about kpersonalizer which goes to infinity (i have to turn off the machine manually.)

I dont think its a graphics card thing because like i said, im on mandrake with kde as i type this without issue.

Your are right your graphic card work but did you make a record of the driver so that you can ask Slackware to load it?

In almost every case it is the Linux fails to match your graphic card and/or the LCD frquencies.

To Kill the Xserver you press crtl+alt+backspace

To alter the Xserver configuration you edit xorg.conf (for new distros) and XF86Config-4 (or older distros). It is usually a matter of trying different generic video drivers.

The log file telling you why Xserver fails is /var/log/XFree86.0.log or /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Just do a "ls /var/log" and you should have a clue where it is.

oldunion

what am i looking to change once i get into xorg.conf, and what do i do to get into it? i dont know if i have nano on this distro.

oldunion

doing ls /var/log didnt show me much. I do not have nano unfortunately, so i dont know how i would go about editing the x server configuration.

im basically a 2 month linux user. the commands i know are cd and ls basically, but i am distressed that this install went so smoothly only to be stopped by kde. and this issue seems like a big deal. so what im trying to say is i dont know very well how to fix this problem.

i do know i was trying to view a log and i got permission denied...even though i was logged in as root.

pretty much seems like a tried a bunch of stuff and nothing really worked.

The editor I found available in the majority of the distros in "vi". "nano" is not always supported.

The section you want to look for editing the video is "device" and the line is
Code:
Driver        "nv"
Between the 3 PC I loaded the Linux I got by using "nv", "radeon", "vesa" and sometimes "fbdev". Sometime a distro may prefer "nv" and dislike "vesa" while the other does the opposite. It is all to do with the Xorg version and the associated drivers it carries.

Slackware is known to be fast and stable but relies heavily on older kernels so it is less friendly in recognising hardware than distros with newer kernels.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online