1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keep child from connecting to other peoples wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Atom, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Atom

Atom Thread Starter

In todays day and age we need to remove two things to get them to do somthing or ground them... Internet and phone! well when I disable/block the wireless connection she connects to the people next door. Instead of ask the people to setup WEP or hooking her upto wired connection or telling her not to Is there a way to make sure the wifi card can be configured for one router and not connect to anything else?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Advise your neighbors to protect themselves with encryption, preferably the secure WPA.

3. avisitor

avisitor

Howabout enabling a firewall that allows you to block all traffic.

4. Atom

Atom Thread Starter

So no possible way to tie the wifi card so it only can connect to the one I want it to?

5. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Lock the pc with a password :D
    no pc

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

The power switch? Seriously, when I had a teenager who ignored my admonishments to go to bed, I would flip the circuit breaker off.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have an appropriate operating system (e.g., Windows XP or Vista) maybe you can create a limited user account for your child and make access to the wireless adapter off limits. I've never had occasion to mess around with limited accounts, so I don't know what's possible.

If the above works, then obviously you don't share with your child any account passwords except for the account you want her to use.

8. avisitor

avisitor

If you can't trust your child to respect your wishes and the privacy of others, then take away the laptop.

Remind her that stealing WiFi is illegal and that using someone else's WiFi is stealing.

9. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

If your daughter's computer has a BIOS which supports this, you could go in there and turn off the wireless NIC in the BIOS and then password protect the BIOS. There will be no way she can turn on the wireless NIC without hacking into the BIOS. But I agree with the others. If she were to defy your wishes and work around your boundaries and rules, I would simply just take the computer away from her.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758423

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice