1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keep computer on or off?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Marlo, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marlo

Marlo Thread Starter

I have a new Dell, W2K P, Pentium IV.

I have the computer, a scanner and a printer all hooked up to a surge protector so that when I flip the switch, it all boots up at the same time.

Between my husband and myself, we probably boot up 4 or 5 times a day. Is this harmful to the system? Are we better off booting up once in the morning and then shutting down at night?

Thanks for your time & your help.

Marlo

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi Marlo,
    Leaving it on or off is probably user preference, but I would not turn the surge protector on and off. Leave it on. I turn mine off every evening before going to bed. It is turned on usually when I get home from work. Of course that is what I do, not what everybody does. The surge protector on is giving you a little security for power surges and bad weather. We also turn everything off during lightining storms including the surge protector. Do we have to or not? Dont know!

3. jgerman1

jgerman1

Personally, I wouldn't use the surge protector to turn all the equipment on at the same time because of the big "pull" on the circuit with everything going on at the same time, but that's probably personal preference.

During an electrical storm, I would unplug everything including the surge protector in the unlikely event of a lightening hit very close by. I've heard that a close "hit" can send a surge back up through your ground and fry sensitive electrical components.

A few years back I read an article that as surge protectors take "hits" they loose their effectiveness and can fail to protect against a surge. I don't know if that is true anymore. Maybe someone can answer that.

As far as turning your PC on and off several times during the day, I guess the main concern would be with the hard drive spinning up and down several times a day, but I do the same thing and have never had a problem.

4. Dan O

Dan O

It's really a personal choice. I personal leave a PC on unless I am going to be away 6-8 hours. With advanced power management, it turns down power usage automatically. Each time you power on a PC you cause a power surge so frequent power ons are not recommended.

5. rhettman5

rhettman5

I use a UPS and all my system is plugged into it, I shut each device down individually, usually boot the computer only once per day , unless I am doing so much stuff that my system resources get to low, then I reboot. I have heard that a good ups will protect against power surges , lightning and power failures, is this totally true ? I have unplugged the ups with the system on and everything runs smoothly, lightning would be a bit scary though !!...Rhett

6. TedOlsen

TedOlsen

Hi,
    With the power management that systems have now, I'd do what's most convenient for you. If you have a regular monitor (not flat screen LCD), I would try to keep it from being on for lots of extra hours.
    Personally on my laptop I like to use Hibernate instead of shut down as the system comes back up a lot faster and doesn't use any battery while in hibernate. Standby would be a good option for you on a desktop.
    Hope this helps.

7. Ryan21

Ryan21

Everyone is right about it being a user prefference. I leave my 2000 system running for weeks at a time. It is designed to run long distances, after all it is a NT sytem and is designed for commercial use. The only problems I run into are a lack of sytem perfomance after about 5 days of constant up time. A restart solves this and it works fine.
    Deffinitly don't turn on all of your devices at one time. They required DC volatage, and this is not meant to fluctuate. It can damage them over time with the drain on the supply. You can also try putting your system in standby at night, it will essentially shut down everything without cutting power all togther and then wake up softly when you need it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!