1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keep detecting Floppy Drive in xp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kaul, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaul

kaul Thread Starter

Hello people,

This morning when i turned on my computer, i got the overclocking failed message and i chose to the "run at normal value" option. Eventually i got into windows, but then the system froze and restarted itself.

Now everytime i get into windows it would detect a floppy drive and installs it automatically. (Which i do not have on my system) I can even see it in My Computer just that i cannot click on it.. (freezes).

does anyone know what could have caused this?
    I am using an ASUS P5k mobo and intel core duo e6750.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advises

2. Sponsor

3. happyrck

happyrck

try system restore

4. kaul

kaul Thread Starter

Tried that... even went back a week (when it was absolutely fine) and didn't have any luck at all :(

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I bet the floppy drive has been re-enabled in the BIOS setup due to the crashing.

I'd be testing the memory in the system, faulty memory can cause those Overclocking error messages on Asus board and cause the BIOS to revert to the defaults. Use Memtest86+ and let it run for several passes/hours: http://www.memtest.org/

6. nessyguin

nessyguin

Hi kaul .
    Can you uninstal it in Device Manager ( right-click on My Computer , Properties , Hardware , Device Manager .Click to expand Floppy Disk Drives if needed then right-click Floppy Disk Drive ) .

You could also go into BIOS and disable the Floppy Disk Controller which should theoretically stop the drive from showing up in My Computer .

As to whether this gets your machine back to normal or not , and your original question of what caused this ..... I have absolutely no idea ! You could look in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer/System and right-click , select Properties on any error entries in the log .

7. jazz3000

jazz3000

Good news is your system is running. Always a fighting chance when it will boot under any circumstance. Your Bios sounds to be a mess. I'd go into Bios and hit the Default Settings, Disable my floppy and enable my Configure Computer. Then I'd reboot and see what type of error messages pop up.
    Getting rid of the bells and whistles with your Default Settings will help to recognize the actual problem. If it's a hardware problems starting at the basics is your best bet. Let us know...Jazz

8. kaul

kaul Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advises people :)
    However i can't do anything until I'd be home later tonight...
    I'll definitely let you know the result

nessyguin - ya i tried uninstalling the drive in device manager and reboot, but it will just re-installs itself when window loads up... I guess i will just have to fiddle with the bios like the others have suggested... thanks!

9. kaul

kaul Thread Starter

You're right! i went into the bios and yes the floppy drive was enabled...
    Oddly enough, some other bios settings were messed too :mad:

I should check if it realy was the memory that could have caused this,
    It was scary to think that i might have sleep-walked and tried to overclock the system :p

thanks a lot people!

10. jazz3000

jazz3000

I'll tell ya I've got a pass word lock on the bios because I'm not the only person who uses the systems here. It's amazing what people will try on our computers. You come back boot up and go, "what the!". Glad to hear everything is working out and you're out buying another pc this evening. LOL...Have a good one...Jazz

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/637047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice