1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keep getting memory error using Symantec 2001 but all seems fine!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bestshotdude, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bestshotdude

bestshotdude Thread Starter

Whenever I use the Norton Utilities 2001 on my AMD 700 Mhz system with an SiS board and 524 mb of memory I get an error at location 19048560 and the check stops. I am getting some strange little blue screens for no reason as well. I replaced both memory sticks with known good ones but still get this error. Just shut up and put up or is there a spider in my shoe I should know about? The system runs fine and went through the "pcpitstop" just great but it just bugs me to get this little bug, you know? Thanks for any help.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. bestshotdude

It does not report error with one stick in either slot the board however is rate for 1gb of memory. Are we on to something?

4. Rockn

Rockn

Try what rollin rog suggested....he's on the track

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

If it is Utilities v5.0, it is because it does not recognize anything over 256.

http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/1999090713442709&src=w

The recommendation on vcache here, is horrific. If it works, in order to get a memory check done, great. But, remove the entries (or replace them by ones that constrain it at less than 512MB, as per Rog's post), after the run.
    The note also states "Norton Diagnostics cannot run a memory test on systems having more than 256 MB of memory".

I have no idea how making a vcache change would fix this problem?

6. shajkur

shajkur

7. WhitPhil

shajkur:

Can you provide a quick summary as to how the swapfile can cause Norton problems doing a physical RAM check?

thanks

8. bestshotdude

As usual, when all else fails, read the instructions. From what I understand you are correct in the support of a limited amount of memory by this program. Excellent as it is, the manual is overwhelming and I did not happen to see this little tidbit of information. I had been using 156mb of ram and had no problem so hence the new error when there really was none. Even so. I have downloaded a little program to examine and adjust my cache memory even though I use "RamBooster" to see if it may help. It is perhaps one of the reasons I run into little snags like this as I love to download stuff to see how it works (or doesn't). Thanks for the tip and will look for any new knowledge from a source as good and educated as yours. Happy Holidays!

9. WhitPhil

If you like to run programs that serve no useful purpose, Rambooster is definitely one of those. Windows does not need to have available memory, and gains no benefit from having it. Free memory is wasted memory. You might as well just take out one of the sticks.

And if the program you downloaded to examine your cache values was cachman (or any other clone), DO NOT use any of the presets for vcache. It you do, you will most likely seriously affect your performance, since it sets the parameters way too low.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62976

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice