1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

keep getting res:// C:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Frezeboogz, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frezeboogz

Frezeboogz Thread Starter

Hi, I have been having this problem for a day or two now. I cannot access any websites from my home pc. I have run hijack.this, about buster, s&d , adware, CWS shredder. unfortunately I was unable to save my hijack log. I keep getting a different dll everytime. I removed it from every user on the pc and I deleted it manually also. regardless I keep getting the following message when I open IE6( i am running Windows XP home edition, Earthlink cable internet)

res:// C:\windows\system32\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm

If i cant do anything else i am thinking about reinstalling windows just so i wont get this message is there a way to keep my personal files???
    Any else would be appreciated. THANKS.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

hi, Please provide these:

I see you have XP Home...
    and Earthlink cable connection.
    Try the reset button on the back or side of the cable modem....you can do this with pc on or off...in most cases.
    Wait for the lights to finish blinking across the modem front and try the connection to IE or other browser.

You may also do this:

And, from the Control Panel>internet options>Programs> hit Reset Web Settings

You can also set the defaults....same start, but under Advanced tab, however doing this will put back a couple of not so good settings in the Security for ActiveX and Scripting...usually it will, might not for XP with SP2 and IE well updated... try the first ones before using that Default unless you are well able to reset what you know is good. The default settings should allow all normal browsing and SP2 should keep anything bad out of the pc....if you do have the SP 2 installed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/301536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice