1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keep local user profile but remove it from domain

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hicelia, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hicelia

hicelia Thread Starter

I have a laptop (Windows XP Pro) that I have been using for work so I have been logging in (both when I'm in the office and on the network and when I am offline at home) using a work-related domain user. I will no longer be working with that company and so would like to cease to use that domain user.

How can I make that user a local user no longer associated with the domain? Alternatively, how can I easily copy all the user profile settings and files?

I have tried "Copy To" from System>Advanced>User Profiles but the Copy To button is grayed out for the domain user I wish to copy. I have also copied the ntuser files to a new local user which seemed to go okay. Except that I am stuck on how to 1) disconnect Outlook from my work's Exchange (Outlook won't open in the new user profile) and 2) get my ACT (from Sage) database synching with the remote. It all just seems a bit more than I can figure out.

Easiest thing would be to just "unhook" the domain user profile from the domain and have it be strictly local...?

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919822