1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keep Losing Internet/Network Connections

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ovivtopher, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ovivtopher

Ovivtopher Thread Starter

Running Windows XP SP2 with a Microsoft Wireless Base Station Router MN700. Since connecting two laptops (Vista Home Premium) to a network through this desktop, the internet fails at least 2-3 times per day causing me to have to reset base station to default (either by power off/on or reset switch in back). Then I have to reset router network and security settings so laptops will be secure and can access printer.

Often, while on the desktop, no connection messages pop up and give me option to work offline. However, I'm still online and things are working fine when those messages pop up.

At one point when I lost the Internet, I ran the "connect setting" window from IE; it couldn't find any connectivity and said I should contact my IP. Yet all green lights are on on both the dsl box and the router. What gives?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Microsoft has abandoned that hardware some time back. I'd consider a new router, I suspect you probably won't be able to upgrade the firmware, which may be the issue.

3. Ovivtopher

Any recommendations?

4. JohnWill

I'd stick with the major brands. If you're interested in potentially speeding up the connection, and the greater range, I'd shop for an 802.11n product at this point.

5. Ovivtopher

Are there going to be issues with running the desktop XP and the laptops Vista with a newer router?

6. JohnWill

Actually, for Vista, the newer the better. I have two 802.11n routers here, they work fine with both Vista machines.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/680413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice