1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keep the FCC Out!

Discussion in 'Tech-Related News' started by loserOlimbs, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs Thread Starter

All I can see this doing is slowing progress, and raising prices. Comcast and the like can only get away with what their customers allow.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...83645448758.html?mod=rss_Today's_Most_Popular

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

How is this?, when they have a monopoly in most of their markets, it not like you can switch to another provider if you are not happy with Comcast.

I believe in a open a free internet access, not something Comcast or other ISP thinks you should have.

Just sell me access and bandwidth and leave the rest alone.

Not sure what the solution is.

3. loserOlimbs

They have near monopolies, but with AT&T and VZW FIOS available as alternatives there less and less wiggle room for Comcast or any provider to take too much away.

4. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Except that the telcos are colluding with each other. They ALL want control of the content of the pipes.

Net neutrality is what we have now. If we fail to maintain it, corporate fascism in America takes a giant step forward, and our freedom becomes severely more constrained.

At this point in time, the ONLY reason the telcos haven't moved more aggressively to seize control is that the gov't won't let them.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Criticism of new net neutrality plan "simply false".

"Easily dismissed" and "simply false on its face" was Federal Communications Commissioner Mignon Clyburn's response on Thursday to charges that the FCC's proposed net neutrality rules represent a throwback to old AT&T monopoly-era regulations. The Commission's plan is indeed to "reclassify" ISPs as common carriers, but then to "forebear" many rules contained in Title II of the Communications Act's common carrier toolkit—save those needed to keep ISPs from discriminating against applications and services they don't like.

-- Tom

6. namenotfound

namenotfound

In what states does this "comcast" thing exist? No one I know here in NY uses comcast, in fact the only time I even hear that name is when I read similar posts online. The most common internet providers here are:

Optimum Online
    Time-Warner
    Direct TV High Speed
    Verizon FiOS
    Roadrunner

7. loserOlimbs

Comcast is the largest cable provider in the states: http://www.ncta.com/Stats/TopMSOs.aspx

But, only one cable provider operates for any market per market agreements. So your area is serviced by the 2nd largest Time Warner.

8. namenotfound

namenotfound

Well that's weird because we have three in NY. Time-Warner and Cablevision (Optimum Online) service the Boroughs of NYC and LongIsland, while the third (I forget name) services update NY.

9. loserOlimbs

Per market, I would bet dollars to cents you can't get more than one at any address...

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

We have two choices here, Comcast cable and Verizon FiOS. Of course, there is also satellite service for the masochists as well. :D

11. loserOlimbs

2 choices but only 1 cable operator.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice