1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keeping a VB app running with multiple users

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by lamstaldy, Feb 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

I have a VB app running on a computer at work. The VB app gathers data from a piece of automation, manipulates the data, and stores the data in Excel. The computer can be accessed by any one, and if some one logs off the computer my Vb app closes and I lose all the data until I get can start it up again in the morning. Is there any way to keep my app running when some one logs off?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Is it a standalone app on the users workstation or is it an app sitting on a server? It would seem like to do what you are attempting you would need a piece of software on each workstation to access the data on the LAN. Ever thought of a database and using the automation to update that? Everyone would then be able to access the data in a multi-user front end. Your current application needs to be modified so they are not actually exiting the application and terminating the whole process.

3. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

It is a stand alone application running on the computer. The data is coming in over the serial port from an Allen-Bradley PLC, so I don't have much control over where the data goes. I do have some 3rd party software that will take the data and send it anywhere on the network, but I'll have the same problem if some one logs off the computer the 3rd party software will close. I spent a few hours in MSDN looking for info on windows service apps, but I'm running VB6 with windows 98. From what I read it appears that I need XP or NT to utilize windows service apps.

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

From this MSDN page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...y/en-us/wmeother/hh/wmeother/network_0515.asp

Here's a link to a page explaining the API call:

http://www.allapi.net/apilist/RegisterServiceProcess.shtml

5. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

I want to thank you both for your help. Mosaic1 that link did the trick. To any one that is interested the link contains some sample code that will hide your app from the Ctrl-Alt-Del list. With a small change you can make so that the only way to close the app is to shut down the computer. There are 2 typos in the sample code, but Debug will point them out. Mosaic1 and Rockn, thanks again for the help.

6. lamstaldy

lamstaldy Thread Starter

Thanks again for the help.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118417

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice