keeping downloaded software save

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Heinrich

Hi, I have over time downloaded quite a bit of nice software. However, my Laptops harddrive is smal and I have now an external harddrive via USB setup. How do I make sure the software is transferred to the E: drive with all its files. Whenever I do a 'copy and paste' I find it is not working. I reformatted my smal harddrive and when reversing the software installation from the E drive to the C drive it does not work. What do I wrong or how should it be done. Any advise is appriciated.
:eek:

Heinrich

Yes but it only provides a link to the external harddrive and does not transfers all relevant files.

Heinrich

thanks Blackmirror, but I am interested in the programs itself because if I have another crash and need to re-format my old and smal laptop hard drive then I would prefer to re install the programs insteed of spending endless time to re-download it all again. In some cases I they are no longer available on the web. I have often been told that there are lots of little hidden files stored at odd places on the hard drive and once re-formatted they are the once that cause the programs not to work any longer. Any more advise please?

MysticEyes

Banned
If you are trying to transfer installed software to the external with hopes of putting it back on after a reformat, it's not possible.

Heinrich

thanks Joseph, this are not good news but it explains my troubles I have.

I learned my lesson too Heinrich, when I had to reformat. Now for many years I downloaded 100's of programs, but now I immediately store the install files, or zipped files on an external drive for this very same reason.
Especially I am on slow dial-up, so I re-install them from the external USB drives.. I found very few programs that ran from an external drive, and those are mainly very old Windows95 programs.
I agree with MysticEyes, I read somewhere from MS, it is not possible to restore the way you wanted it to.
Why don't you ask for the programs you lost, maybe someone has it and can send it to you.

Heinrich

thanks bp936. As of now I will do just that. Download it into the ext.hard drive and when needed load it into the C: drive. Thanks, I think this is the best way making sure the program remains in good order and always available if needed.

If you are just looking to save the downloads for install purposes, you could put a folder on the external drive and save them to there, but I don't understand why you cannot copy and paste either to the drive. And then install program from the external drive to the main drive when you need to.

MysticEyes

Banned
If you are just looking to save the downloads for install purposes, you could put a folder on the external drive and save them to there, but I don't understand why you cannot copy and paste either to the drive. And then install program from the external drive to the main drive when you need to.
Read carefully. Was trying to copy and paste installed programs.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online