1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keeping my backup pc "invisible" to the internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by SabreWolf3, Jan 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SabreWolf3

SabreWolf3 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a small wired home office set up. I have a laptop and desktop running Windows 2000, and my wife has a desktop running Windows XP. We also have two ethernet print servers. All of these devices are connected to a 16-port HP switch. The 16-port HP switch is connected to a 4-port D-Link DI-604 router (192.168.0.1). The router also has my VOIP device connected.

So I have 11 ports open on the switch, and 2 ports open on the router. All the devices on the network get their IP addresses through DHCP from the router, but they are all assigned statically based on MAC address, and I only allow enough IP addresses to be assigned to cover the number of devices on my network.

What I want to do is set up another desktop machine, which will be running Windows 2000 to serve as backup storage. I will map network drives from each of my office machines to this backup machine, and use backup utilities to run regular backup jobs.

My question is this. Is there a way to set up this backup machine where it is connected to the ethernet network, but does not have access to the internet? I don't want to have to run antivirus, firewall and other apps on this machine, because it does not have a great deal of RAM and it has a slow processor. I only want this machine to be able to accept file transfers from machines on my 192.168.0.x network.

What do I need to do to accomplish this?

2. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Very simple solution for you. Instead of letting your router assign the backup PC it's IP info, just manually assign the backup pc a static IP address in your TCP/IP properties. When doing this, leave out the gateway and DNS information. That machine will then accomplish what you want, but will not be able to get online. It will strickly be an internal machine. FYI: Make sure you assign it an address outside of your DHCP pool but on the same subnet as the rest of your machine. For instance, if your router is issuing out IP address in the range of 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200, you may want to assign the backup PC an IP of 192.168.0.5. Use 255.255.255.0 for your subnet mask. By doing it this way, you will avoice IP conflicts with other machines on your internal network.

Hope this was helpful.......

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

if you are going to use this as a file server, what happens when someone puts a file on the computer that has a virus. You still need to keep it up2date with Service Packs and hot fixes. Some viruses can spread thru your network if it is a vulnerabiltity related to a network service.

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    I'm sure he can just connect it to the internet when he needs to do a windows update. There are more expensive solutions out there, but for this particular case, it's free and easy for him to do.

5. Lotus4669

Lotus4669

Agreed, removing the gateway would be the easier way to do this. As also stated, take some time every now and then to keep it updated.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice