1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keeping Track Of Clients

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by BarraGT, Nov 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BarraGT

BarraGT Thread Starter

I have a relatively large number of clients, all of whom I need to keep a relatively extensive listing of details for.

What program is best suited for looking after this?

Ideally, I am after a program that will let me add a new client, input any information I may want (inclusive of any custom fields that I may need to add to hold any particular entries), view these records at any time, and, perhaps even have a way for me to attach files or folder directories for particular documents, images, etcetera, that might relate to the client. The facility to have a "notes" type facility where I could add details of the latest correspondence between myself and the client would be good, too. Also, a program that looks good would be a bonus!

I was thinkin that Microsoft Access would do all of that, but I am not familiar with the program and thought I would see whether there was something already out there that did all of this?

2. OBP

OBP It's My Birthday!

There are no programs that do all that for you without development, Access is very suitable for this type of application. If you need help with the development I am quite happy to help you (for free of course). I have helped other Tech Guy posters with databases in the past.

3. cristobal03

cristobal03

In fact, Access has some database wizards that will build an application for you that is close to what you're after. I'll say that associating files and directories with records as a development subject is a bit more advanced (but certainly not impossible).

The difference to you between using Access and possibly finding a software package that's good enough for your purposes is this: you're going to have to spend some time thinking about precisely what it is you want out of the application, because you're the one making it. I can tell you from experience that it's considerably harder to modify a program after it's been developed.

So, if you use Access, it's worth the time to spend a few days taking note of what you want the application to do--and by taking note I mean literally writing things down. Make sketches of forms. Write down questions that you would ask of your data, such as, "Which of the clients has an associated file or directory?" or, "How many clients were added between June 2003 and March 2007?" (these will help you when you're designing queries). These are just some things to think about, even if you do use one of Access's pre-built databases.

And like OBP said, there's a lot of help to be found on these forums.

GL (y)

chris.

4. Wino

Wino

http://www.act.com/

Have used ACT! for several years from v. 2.0 to 5.0 now for customer/client database (1,800 +). It meets your wish list and then some. Intuit also has a customer database program (Customer Manager) that interfaces with QuickBooks which is about $100 less than ACT!. I have this program, but have not installed it, so not sure what all it would do........I'm happy with ACT!.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

TreePad may fit the bill also.

6. BarraGT

BarraGT Thread Starter

This one doesn't seem too bad, but it's a little bit slow to run. It does everything I wanted, though, so thanks for the link!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/417210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice