1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

keeping VPN connection alive after logoff

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by gurutech, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

I am running Vista with the Nortel Contivity client, version 6.07, and I am trying to get it to stay connected after I log off, so I can logon as a different user and stay connected to the VPN.

I know with previous versions (that aren't Vista compatible), the VPN software gives you the option to "install as a service", but I wasn't given that option with this version.

Is there any way to configure the software to do this?

Thanks in advance!

2. draceplace

draceplace

I'm thinking the security of a VPN would be comprimised if the CON stayed up regardless of who logged on to the pc? As a work around perhaps, once you establish the VPN you can remote to another pc and log on as a different user.

Used this at one job where 'admin' was not allow to VPN as a security precaution...but sometimes the admin login was needed to fix stuff.

I think you could also establish a 'firewall VPN' then different users could logon to the PC which goes to your network through the firewall?

3. gurutech

gurutech Thread Starter

Well, some VPN software packages allow you to "install as a service", meaning it won't kick you off if you log off, or it will make the VPN connection FIRST, and then authenticate to the domain. This is very helpful for those who need to have their login script run or to map drives when they are working remotely.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/741409