1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Keeps booting into Safe Mode & No mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tjm, Mar 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjm

tjm Thread Starter

PC keeps booting into Safe Mode and I have no mouse showing. All started when I changed the power extension lead to my pc to a shorter one (didn't require the long one I was using).
    450 Mhz, Slot 1 PIII, 128RAM, Win 98SE.
    Any ideas?
    Terry.

2. active95

active95

Go ahead and use the F8 key or Left Control key and choose from the STARTING Windows 98 menu the "step by step "option. And start pressing the Y key when asked. It will show you what program/device is creating this problem

3. tjm

tjm Thread Starter

Tried the step by step routine. Just continued on and booted into safe mode. I have been able to access Device Mgr in safe mode and have discovered that all my add ons (graphics card, sound card, modem) have failed to load. The mouse is the only thing showing and that has a yellow exclamation mark. Under the General tab in Properties it says:
    "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the file (vmouse.VXD) that loads the drivers for the device (Code 8.)
    To fix this problem, run Windows Setup again using your Windows CD-ROM."
    I can sense a reinstall coming.
    Terry.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Are you sure it's loading in safe mode? Does safe mode show in the corners or does the display just look so bad it appears to be safe mode?

5. tjm

tjm Thread Starter

Good point. When accessing via the cntrl key I specified Normal mode and it comes up the same. I just assumed this basic display was safe mode but it doesn't actually say it's in safe mode. There you go. For some reason Windows has lost the ability to load certain drivers. What think ye, reinstall Win 98 and hope?

6. active95

active95

start with installing the drivers for the video card and work your way up from there...

7. tjm

tjm Thread Starter

How do you reinstall drivers? The drivers have all been downloaded from the respective websites (except for the modem) as the ones that came on the CDs wouldn't work properly. Do you mean run the exe files (if I can find them)? Wouldn't reinstalling the OS fix whatever has been corrupted and prevents the drivers from being loaded?
    I do appreciate your responses.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Trying to re-install the display adapter is the easiest, a windows re-install may also cause other drivers to need re-installed (updated, etc.) and may even shift IRQs around so things may not work. Plus if you've done any updates to Internet Explorer, you can create havoc with putting the older version ontop.

Let' try the easy way first. Find the drivers for the display adapter, there should be a file called setup.exe, just double click on it and you should be prompted along.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/74081

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice