Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeps Rebooting - kernel-power 41 windows 10

3K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  TomPewPew 
#1 ·
Hi guys, this is a new system I built and it had been working well for 2 months. Last month, I left home for 2 weeks and the PC was left powered up. After powering it up again, it reboots frequently.

In the Windows event log, it shows kernel power error. The time it takes from bootup to reboot varies each time. If I leave it doing nothing, it can take up to 1-2 hours. However, I find that I can trigger the reboot by installing the NVIDIA driver or the WIN 10 update. It turns off and reboots during the installation. Every time it reboots, the screen turns black, GPU fans spin up and there is the WIN10 USB disconnect sound.
Here is a link of the video I took: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10cIYuOvuOOIxqiV1hWaNXIvFFL1iiJVP/view?usp=sharing

When it reboots during the Win 10 update, the system becomes unrecoverable and I have to reinstall the Windows. When it reboots during NVIDIA, most of the time, the auto repair doesn't work and I need to recover to a restore point.

This is my system info
Win 10 Pro 64bit
Ryzen 7 3700x
B450-A Pro max
2 x G.Skill F4-3200C15-16GVK
M.2 WDS100T3X0C-00SJG0
GALAX NVIDIA 2070 supper
MSI B450-A-Pro Max
Corsair CX650M 650W

I have done to the followings to find out what causes the problem but no luck
- upgrade BIOS version
- use another hard drive for Windows
- test each RAM individually
- changing window power option
- run windows memory diagnostic
- run sfc /scannow
- Replace the motherboard with a brand new MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
- Replace the PSU with a brand new Cooler Master 80+ Gold MWE 750W
- Connect to another power point
- Replace the GPU with my old one Radeon HD 5850
- Unplug all the externals, mouse, audio, keyboard, monitor(I remote desktop into the system, install the NVIDIA driver and it reboots)

There is no bent pin on the CPU. I am thinking it can't be the CPU, or can it? But I don't think what else to try.

Cheers,
Tom

See less See more
#2 ·
So which motherboard do you have; the B450 you first listed OR the X470 further down in your post?

Next one of the very first things to do is check temps and voltages; specifically cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Usually msi has monitoring software on the support page for your motherboard. This is called either command center or dragon center. Download that and install. Once done, post the aforementioned info. Do this twice. Once under a normal load and again while running a stress test. Use any of the following for the stress test; prime95, OCCT, or Realbench. Let the stress test run for at least 2min to stabilize temps/voltages. Post screenshots of your monitoring software under both conditions.

I never build with msi boards so I am not familiar with the software however most of the monitoring programs are also overclocking programs. Do not make any changes; just use the hardware monitor part of the program.

One thing I do notice is that you are right at minimum spec for a pw supply AND the cx series from corsair is not really designed for stressful endeavors ie gaming, overclocking, etc. See this quote from the corsair site in regard to the cx series of pw supplies.
CX Series Modular power supply units are an excellent choice for basic system builds
Running a 2070 super is hardly a basic build.

#3 · (Edited)
I am thinking it can't be the CPU, or can it?
Generally a processor either works or does not however you can have a core developing problems. It is difficult to test however this is one thing I do when suspecting a possible processor problem is use memtest. Download memtest;
https://www.memtest86.com/
Make the bootable usb and boot the system with the memtest usb. Choose round robin for the cpu. Any failure on more than one core is bad ram or a bad motherboard. If you keep getting failures on the same core it is a problem with the processor.
Note memtest is not the easiest memory tester to use however it can help point at the problem.

#4 ·
Thank you, crj!!!

The mobo and PSU have been replaced. The current system setup is
Win 10 Pro 64bit(clean system, only chipset driver is installed)
Ryzen 7 3700x
MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max
2 x G.Skill F4-3200C15-16GVK
M.2 WDS100T3X0C-00SJG0
GALAX NVIDIA 2070 supper
Cooler Master 80+ Gold MWE 750W

Normal Load
Colorfulness Product Font Screenshot Software

Right before it reboots during NVIDIA driver installation.

Prime95 stress test after 6 mins
Font Screenshot Software Multimedia Electronic device

I am still running the MEMTEST86. lol it takes so long. It hasn't found an error yet.

Font Electronic device Display device Multimedia Number

Cheers,
Tom

#5 · (Edited)
Your temps and voltages are fine so it is not a cooling or pw supply problem.
You are running gskil 3200 ram and that usually takes 1.35V and the bios defaults to 1.2V. From one of your pics it shows the ram running @2133 and 1.2V which is default. Probably not causing the current problem; just something I noticed. It would not hurt to set vdimm or ram voltage to 1.35V and see if you still have the issue.

Your original post said you swapped video cards with an older one so the video card is probably causing the problem either.

I asked someone else to take a look and see what he thinks.

#6 ·
Thank you, CRJ.

When I replace the 2070 super with Radeon HD 5850, the reboot issue doesn't stop lol.

I set DRAM to 3200 MHZ and the voltage increases to v 1.32v. Still have the issue.

It is really strange that every time it reboots there is the disconnect sound.

#10 ·
Yes, the RAM has been tested with memtest86 for 13 hrs. The system drive was swapped as well.
It is a mystery lol
It worked straight away when I built it. It worked for two months. We had some quality time, Sketchup, Enscape, Killing Floor 2, MWW II ... Then, I left home for 2 weeks and it broke down...

#8 ·
It is really strange that every time it reboots there is the disconnect sound
Are you by chance using a liquid cooler that is powered from a usb port like a corsair?

I have never used gskill ram in a ryzen build; in a number of older AMD builds however not ryzen. I know corsair vengeance ram works great in ryzen builds and even overclocks well.

At this point there really are not a lot of things left to do. If you can RMA the motherboard and go with one from a different mfg ie Asus or Gigabyte. That is really about all I can think of doing.

#9 ·
No, liquid cooler is definitely too hard for me lol. I have sent the mobo for RMA and getting a replacement from MSI soon. The current X470 is brand new as well lol

Once I come out of the lockdown, I will test my GPU in my mate's PC and see how it goes.

Will keep updating it in here :D

#11 ·
Strange, and with the USB disconnect sound that means you have a USB device that your operating system installation doesn't like although have had this happen with a few builds both AMD and Intel and it was worked out by a certain order of driver installations after the initial OS install (clean). I would take cjdrivers advice and try a different brand of motherboard see if that helps Asus and Gigabyte was recommended try that.

#14 · (Edited)
Update
Tested the 2070supper graphic card in another PC and the reboot issue can't be recreated on that PC.
Tested with GV-N960WF2OC-2GD (required external power). It still reboots
Tested another AMD graphic card( doesn't require external power but I can't remember the model lol), unable to install the driver.

All right, sending the CPU back for RMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.