1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kensington Three-Number Notebook Locks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jmbcomms, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmbcomms

jmbcomms Thread Starter

After seeing how easy it is to get Kensington keyed notebook locks open, I am switching to a three-number Kensington lock for my upcoming trip...but I can't figure it out (bought it a few years ago and discarded packaging). It has a flip switch on the bottom with red and green markings on either side, and a green mark on the side where the numbers line up. How do I set it? Cannot find instructions on Kensington site. Also have a 4-digit Defcon lock, much easier to use, but it won't be back in the office until after I leave, and I'm gone 6 weeks. Thanks!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does this help any:

To Personalize or Change your Notebook ComboSaver™ combination:

1. Rotate the combination wheels to the current code. The pre-set factory code is 000.
    2. Press the reset button at the end of the lock body -- just look for the Kensington logo (a small picture of a padlock with a K inside it.)
    3. While pressing the reset button, set your combination to a number of your choice aligned with the black line. In setting the combination, choose something that is easy to remember.

IMPORTANT: Do not let go of the reset button while setting the combination. If the button is released while you are setting the combination, the ComboSaver will set to a combination that you may not have specified.

4. Release the reset button. Your new combination is now set.

If you have the new Combo Saver follow these steps.

1) To change the combination flip the switch to the red dot.

2) Set the combination to the desired numbers aligning it with the arrow.

3) Flip the switch back to the green dot.

Your combination is now set.

Found here.

3. jmbcomms

jmbcomms Thread Starter

Thanks... the good news is that I set my combination, got it hooked up, then got it to disconnect. I then reattached it but now it won't disconnect with the specific code I had entered (wife's birthday). My concern is that it hadn't recorded the new combination until after I thought it did, as I was flicking the numbers. Fortunately this is on a backup laptop in my office; the DEFCON lock on my main laptop is more intuitive and it's all set for my next trip.

Short of a hacksaw, any suggestions for getting the backup off again? Thanks...

Jeff ([email protected]):(

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
  5. jmbcomms

jmbcomms Thread Starter

Thanks Chuck. I guess I'm happy to have a Defcon on my other system. I suppose I will hacksaw or dremel this thing when I get back. Thanks again...

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    You're welcome.

You can mark this thread as solved or wait to see if anyone has any suggestions for getting it off.

7. jmbcomms

jmbcomms Thread Starter

I'll wait, since it's not urgent. Thanks again Chuck.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/785928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice