Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenwood Receiver VR-200 no sound

Solved 
4K views 57 replies 5 participants last post by  Drabdr 
#1 ·
Hello

Not sure where to put this thread , it is a home stereo question, I have a Kenwood stereo receiver and I am trying to hook up a Onkyo SKC-590 N centre speaker, I hooked the speaker to the receiver but no sound is coming out, I have attached two pictures for reference

Thank you

Dan

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi. I moved this to our Do-It-Yourself forum, for non-computer related questions and requests for help.

The picture of the back of the receiver is too small to make out the labeling of the spring clips or any kind of model number. Please provide a higher resolution picture of the back of the receiver, in particular, the spring clips right of center.

#4 ·
It looks like your speakers would connect here, with the center speaker on the right, as depicted (Right/Left/Center):
Gas Audio equipment Electronic device Electronic instrument Machine

Reactions: cwwozniak
#6 ·
It looks like you need to configure the system to let it know how t he speakers are to be used. I found this on page 13 of the manual ...
Font Parallel Number Circle

Reactions: cwwozniak
#8 ·
You are most welcome! Have you got the manual? I found it online, a rather poorly copied .pdf of the manual, but it is legible, at least. It looks very amateurishly done! ;-)

#10 · (Edited)
From what I can see from the manual, you should be able to use the front panel SETUP button and MULTI CONTROL knob to change the speaker settings.

I found a PDF of the User Manual on the Kenwood website:
https://manual.kenwood.com/files/B60-5337-00.pdf

EDIT: Sheet #12 of 32 in the PDF file shows how to set up the speakers using the front panel controls or remote.

EDIT 2: I just realized you have a VR-205 receiver and the manual is for a VR-705. I apologize for not taking a closer look at the Google search results. Hopefully, the VR-705 manual may be of some help if the VR-205 is similar.

#12 ·
I set the receiver to Normal center still no sound , when i set the center speaker to yes do i have to do anything to confirm it
i checked the connection again and it set to center speaker , the Onkyo center speaker has a different color scheme than the normal
black and red , they use black and green, I am assuming the green is red ?

#13 ·
More than likely, though it doesn't really matter. That polarity is for the deflection of the speaker cone. For the left and right channels, the polarity may affect the speaker phase and therefore the sound quality. For the center channel, it makes less difference. Reversing polarity will not damage the speaker in any way, it will only, possibly, affect the sound.

Do you have the manual? Read through it and see what needs to be done to obtain sound from the center speaker. If you need a copy, you can search for it (like I said, I found it online, but didn't bookmark it).

#18 ·
Exactly. This will test the center channel output from the receiver and verify the speaker you want to use for center channel is working correctly.

#20 ·
Check your spam/ junk folder on your computer and see if replies are going there.

To clarify, when you say you changed the input, was it just a different output from the receiver (e.g. radio FM as opposed to a DVD or other) to the center channel? Was that radio music on the same/original center speaker or from one of the other speakers that you switched and are using as a center channel?

#21 ·
If you have done my previously suggested speaker swap test and confirmed that all three speakers are functional, you may have incorrect speaker system settings on the receiver. Take a look at section #3 on page 16 of the manual in my earlier link and see if your receiver has the same speaker system settings options. If so, I believe you need to have them configured as "2WAY 3SPKR".

Section #4 on page 17 discusses using a built-in test tone generator to test the speaker outputs. If your receiver has that feature, you could use that to confirm the amplifier channels and speakers are all good.

#23 ·
all my others speakers are hooked up to my Onyko
OhhhhKaaaay. Maybe you should provide us with a drawing or sketch of how you exactly have all of the hardware (speakers, amplifiers, receivers, audio sources, etc.) interconnected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.