1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kerio Personal Firewall and Diskeeper Conflict

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by briarrabbit, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. briarrabbit

briarrabbit Thread Starter

Hello

I have been sucessfully using Kerio Personal Firewall for several years now with no problems at all.

Last week I installed Diskeeper Pro [current version] which operates continuously in the background and activates a defrag on my 3 x partitions when necessary.

Now, I must have made an error when installing Diskeeper, or rather with the permissions I allowed through Kerio. I thought I allowed all processes but since last week I constantly get Kerio warnings that:

DKSERVICE.exe is trying to execute DFRGNTFS.exe.

Even when I click Allow and "don't ask me again" it keeps doing so over and over again ad nauseum. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Diskeeper and I've gone to the Kerio System Security page and granted permissions to these 2 x applications and anything else that looks as if its connected to Diskeeper - but to no avail.

It appears I've inadvertently denied permission to some Diskeeper application, I've checked in the installation folder of DK, noted all the applications and extensions and made sure they have necessary permissions in Kerio, but still no good. It's driving me crazy. Obviously I've overlooked something. if someone can assist me to overcome this conflict I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

briarrabbit,

Welcome to TSG!

If the warnings are coming from Kerio, it sounds like one of the Kerio rules is triggering the warning, or the permissions granted via Kerio are insufficient or not working to prevent the warning in conjunction with the rules.

The fact that it keeps doing so over and over again ad nauseum may be due to more than one rule triggering - I'm not sure.

Straight up, my take is that since DKSERVICE.exe is trying to execute DFRGNTFS.exe then dkservice.exe needs permission to execute dfrgntfs.exe. The question is within what context of operation is Kerio triggering? Aren't both of these executables diskeeper executables? If so, then I have to ask the question, what does that have to do with Kerio, aside from the fact that a warning is coming from Kerio (and may have nothing whatsoever to do with Kerio per se, it may just be doing its job)? A warning from Kerio may be just a side-effect, triggered by a rule that is important and needs to remain in place to maintain security from errant process execution. I would look at the issue of diskeeper permissions in the system context within which Kerio operates. Kerio perhaps has a rule(s) that needs tweaking with regard to diskeeper since kerio is probably just trying to maintain security - so, the issue might not be just one of diskeeper permissions, but Kerio rule tweaking.

Up front, I do not use Kerio - so, I am no expert with its use, and am unable to advise you further with regard to its rule tweaking. However, looking at the Kerio website, I would suspect application launch control, and file integrity control as the functional areas of Kerio rules to look at with regard to solving this problem. Do you use Kerio Free or Full (paid)?

Have you tried sending email to Kerio support for assistance?

-- Tom

3. briarrabbit

briarrabbit Thread Starter

Tom

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have tried Kerio support a few times but don't get any response.

I agree that it is probably Kerio rule tweaking, in particular application launch permissions. The problem is that I seem to have inadvertently disallowed some function when Iinstalled DK by clicking "Don't Allow and don't ask me again". Now it is very easy in Kerio to modify a permission - that is as long as you know the appplication you are looking for. I've found all the obvious DK ones and checked to make sure it has necessary permission to execute but it hasn't resolved it.

Unfortunately, if you uninstall DK so you can re-install and start afresh, that doesn't help. Why? Because even when you uninstall a programme the previous permission rules remain in Kerio unless and until you manually delete or amend them - and that's the conundrum - I don't know what other applications to amend. There are scores of them in the Kerio log. That is, short of uninstalling and re-installing Kerio, but that is a bit drastic and a last resort.

If anyone else can offer a solution it would be much appreciated.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

briarrabbit,

About the only thing I can recommend at this point is a workaround:
    1) If you are on broadband, disconnect the modem after you shutdown your system. Bring your PC up in Safe Mode without networking and shutdown Kerio if it is already up - no need for firewall protection in Safe Mode - then when you come up in Safe Mode, run the defrag capability of Diskeeper Pro.
    2) When the defrag is complete turn off the background defrag capability in your configuration, reconnect broadband modem (if have one) and bring up your system. In other words, if it is possible to turnoff the background defrag - which appears to be in conflict with Kerio - then you can avoid the problem rather than attempt a fix which may not even be feasible. Although, I would report the conflict to both Diskeeper and Kerio.

Short of that working, you can click on the red-outlined white triangle at the upper right-hand corner of your post at TSG to get the attention of one of the moderators and have your post moved over to the Security Forum - i.e. software firewalls fall into the category of Security software. Give it what you think is a reasonable amount of time to get a response.

Since this is not a pure Kerio problem, but a conflict in operation between Diskeeper and Kerio, I am uncertain whether anyone but both Diskeeper and Kerio working together can help alleviate your problem unless someone has run into it before and has either a solution or workaround.

-- Tom

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/392652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice