1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kerio Personal Firewall test

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by griffinspc, Sep 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. griffinspc

griffinspc Thread Starter

Just a heads up folks.

I recently read a review on wilders.org of the Kerio Personal Firewall and thought I'd give it a test run since, though I've been a long time user of Zone Alarm, I have had some problems with it at times.

I installed Kerio this weekend on a NT machine and a Win98 machine which are networked with TCP/IP and NETbeui. It installs beautifully and seems less intrusive than ZA though I haven't tried uninstalling it which is a real pain with ZA. It has many easy to configure options and I liked it.

I ran a port and IP attack from Gibson's Research site and came up clean and also downloaded Gibson's locally driven (so you can assign specific IP addresses to check) executable and also came up clean even with NETbeui.

I thought I'd pass this info on since so many folks have trouble with the setup and uninstalls of ZA. Again, nothing really against ZA, it's been a workhorse for a long while and free so who can complain but sometimes there's a better mousetrap.

For a FREE for personal use download go here:

http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

This is good news! I tried to install the new version of ZA this weekend on 2 devices, one was flawless the other simply hung at 9% no matter what I did. I will give Keiro a try!

Thanks!

3. griffinspc

griffinspc Thread Starter

You're Welcome. The new version of ZA is also what got me to looking for alternatives. It simply would not allow my dialup connection and IE6 to work together. Seventeen hundred re-installs of dialup adapter and IE connections and proxy's will do that to you :mad: :mad: :D

4. nickdawg

nickdawg

I've never had any problems with Zonealarm, I just don't really understand firewalls.

5. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Also anyone whos ISP is comcast theyre gicing away free 1 year subscriptions to the McAffee firewall.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/94013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice