1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kernal_Stack/Data_In_Page_Error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lieutenantfrost, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lieutenantfrost

lieutenantfrost Thread Starter

I just built my own system for the first time last week and all seemed to be running well until I started getting a BSOD at random intervals, The first was while I was running a defrag. This is my first attempt at debugging a problem like this, so my experience is quite limited.

- Just Build new system, all parts out of the box save for 2 hard drives running on an IDE cable
    - Fresh install of win XP
    - I have run Chkdsk on both my hard drives and they show no errors
    - I have checked both drives with the manufacture diagnostic software and both passed with no errors
    - I have fun memtest after 15 passes no errors were shown.

- I have changed my Write debugging information settings to Kernel Memory Dump.
    However in my last 3 Blue screens no .dmp file has been created. it is my understanding that once created it would be found in windows/system32/memory dump correct?

I have treid a basic windows search using .dmp but it has yeilded no results. with the exception of the Dr Watson .dmp

Im not sure what my next step is now.

The two BSODs I seem to get are

Kernal_Data_In_Page_Error

Stop 0x0000007A (0xC05d38C0, 0xC000000E, 0XBA718384, 0x179E0860)

*** Atapi.sys addresss BA718384 Base at BA70B000 Date stamp 41107B4D

Beginning Dump of Physical Memory

AND

Kernel_Stack_In_Page_Error

Stop 0x00000077 (0x0000000E, 0xc000000E, 0x00000000, 0x0132F000)

This is from the system log file in the event viewer, it was the last error listed after my reboot. There was no error listed under the application Tab.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: W32Time
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 34
    Date: 10/19/2007
    Time: 12:19:19 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: LIEUTENA-162720
    Description:
    The time service has detected that the system time needs to be changed by +75590 seconds. The time service will not change the system time by more than +54000 seconds. Verify that your time and time zone are correct, and that the time source time.windows.com (ntp.m|0x1|99.243.125.132:123->207.46.130.100:123) is working properly.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

again
    All my hardware is brand new with the exception of my 2 Hard drives which the computer has no problem recognizing, I used them on my dell system before swapping them over and both worked flawlessly, I have run chkdsk on both and it is not reading any bad sectors on either of them.

I have reinstalled windows twice and problem is presisting. From what I have read Im led to believe that its a hardware problem with either my new ram or my mobo. but with both being only 2 weeks old i don't see how that could be.

Again Any suggestions or help would be much appriceated.

2. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

The fact that you've reinstalled Windows TWICE could indicate a problem with your hardware, but not ONLY problems with the RAM or the motherboard. Since your HDDs were used previously on another system, they could ALSO be the root of the problem, but probably NOT for the reasons you'd suspect. There might not be anything wrong with them PHYSICALLY, but that does NOT mean they aren't the culprits here, which I'll explain...

My FIRST suggestion is to check the IDE cable connected to your HDDs; a defective cable can be the cause of this problem, along with having it connected improperly. Please describe the way you have connected your HDDs within the system... for example, are you using one drive as Master, and the other as Slave, on the Primary IDE channel? If not, how are they connected? Which drive is at the END of the IDE cable? Is the jumper set correctly? How is the other drive attached to the system?

Please provide as MUCH detail as possible, so we can begin to resolve this; we'll try to eliminate the easiest and most logical problems first, so we can narrow this down quickly. The BAD news is, this problem can ALSO be caused by the presence of a boot-sector virus, which is a whole new can of worms to deal with... For now, we'll focus on the no-brainer solutions, and work from there. No reason to nuke those HDDs just yet, unless you have reason to suspect that your system IS infected...

If you ARE concerned about possible infection, you can download the AVG (freeware) anti-virus program here:

http://free.grisoft.com

Download and install AVG; be SURE to update it, though I think the newest definitions were released today (October 26th / 27th as I type this)...

Run AVG and let it scan EVERYTHING; you want to make SURE that the MBRs are scanned, along with EVERY file on the HDDs. This will take HOURS, so you might want to let AVG run overnight...

Good luck; please answer my questions about the methods you've used to attach the HDDs to your motherboard, and check your system with AVG, just to be safe...

3. peterdiva

peterdiva

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000000e - A device which does not exist was specified. This is a hard drive error. See PuppyLinux's hard drive suggestions. If it only happens when thrashing the disk, e.g. defragging then it could be overheating.

Stop 0x0000007A (0xC05d38C0, 0xC000000E, 0XBA718384, 0x179E0860) <-- (NTSTATUS) 0xc000000e
    Stop 0x00000077 (0x0000000E, 0xc000000E, 0x00000000, 0x0132F000) <-- (NTSTATUS) 0xc000000e

4. lieutenantfrost

First let me thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. I've been struggling with this now for several weeks and your the first person to give me some feeling of optimism

This computer was my frist attempt at building a system from scratch on my own, the mobo, while it offers support for IDE seems more geared to the newer SATA connections.
    just my impression,

The IDE Cable was brand new, I had to replace it twice as it was too short to work with the coolermaster case I was using. I used the same set up as I had on my dell system in terms of connecting the master and slave drives in the correct order, the jumper on the secondary is positioned in the same place I had it on my dell set up for the last 3 years. I suppose I could have done it wrong, but the system seems to run just fine in nearly every regard.

These blue screens seem to be triggered by large tasks, defraging and downloading of torrents. But it has also happened by leaving the machine idle.

You mentioned a boot sector virus, someone suggested this on another forum, each time I installed XP I did a full Format of the drive, deleted and recreated the partition. Though Im guessing that wouldn't remove a boot sector virus?

Will AVG detect a boot sector virus?

There really isn't much for it to scan, after it first started blue screening and I reinstalled XP I only loaded limited programs back on and I've held off on filling really using this system till I could resolve this problem

Some Possible Fixes (which I don't have much faith in, but will attempt regardless) suggested elsewhere have been to ...

1. Disable "System caching" in BIOS to see if this resolves the error.

2. Another person suggested that the cause and solution to the problem on his system was a color adjustment program trying to adjust the settings for a game when it should not have. his fix was to do this...

start menu/run/msconfig/startup/disable all [/B]

Another person suggested validating drivers in this fashion

To determine if a driver is causing the problem I need you to enable driver
    verifier.
    Steps:
    1) Windows Key + R
    2) Type in 'verifier' and hit enter
    3) Make sure 'Create Standard Setting' is selected and hit next
    4) Click on 'Select all drivers installed on this computer' and hit Finish
    5) Reboot

There is a possibility that your computer will crash on reboot. If this
    occurs hit F8 when rebooting just before the windows logo screen and select
    the safe mode boot option. Follow the same steps above but on step 4 choose
    'Select driver names from a list'; hit next; check the box next to any
    driver where the provider is not Microsoft; hit Finish; reboot.

I have thought about leaving the machine into a tech support shop and just letting them mess with it but since the BSOD's are so random and don't seem to have a guaranteed trigger, I dont' want to pay them 100 bucks plus to have the system handed back to me in a few days with tehm telling me they coudln't find anything wrong with it. I could buy a new HD, but I don't want to do that if Im just going to be met wtih the same problem.

5. lieutenantfrost

Im not sure if its relivant but when I ran the manufacturer diagnostic it notifed me that the drive was overtemp, before asking me if I wanted to continue with the scan. I have had HD's fail on me before due to heat problems but I don't get that feeling here. Also after this problem presented itself I left the machine on for a week without doing much to it and it didn't fail once. tho I didn't defrag or have it running any complex tasks in that time.

6. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

OK, now we're making progress; since the diagnostic tests indicate that the HDD is overheating, you MUST address that issue first. The ONLY time you STRESS an HDD is while USING it; leaving the system IDLE for a week proves NOTHING that helps you here. Logically, running Defrag, or moving a LOT of files will STRESS the drive, causing the types of problems you've encountered.

If you STILL don't suspect the drive is the culprit, simply remove it from the equation, and use a different HDD. If the problems don't reoccur, you've found the solution... I don't like to give up on expensive hardware, but risking your data on a flaky HDD just isn't worth the aggravation and grief it will cause you. When an HDD shows an overtemp condition, internal metal parts are expanding beyond tolerances from the excessive heat, and bad things happen soon afterwards. Retire the drive; there's a good chance your problems will go away with it.

7. Frozenhelfire

Frozenhelfire

I've heard that old hard drive can sometimes develop 'bad sectors' in which data can't be accessed correctly. Not sure how legit this claim is, but you might find it of some aid. I've found that routine defragmentations generally keep bluescreens down from personal experience, however. This could be because data is being moved out of these 'bad sectors'...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643965

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice