Kernel Errors & Fatal Exception Errors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TellMe

Hi:
I'm using Windows 98. And use Internet Explorer. For 2 weeks now I have been getting error messages like:

Kernel 32 caused a general protection fault in Module KRNL.386.exe at 001:000075a2. Or it might be at a different Kernel.

Then I will be in a program and all of a sudden will get an error message. A fatal exception OD has occurred at 16C7:015F75B6. The current application will be terminated.
Sometimes they are at that number and sometimes at another one. They are usually different.

I have MSN Msgr and when I close it down. I get that. I can't shut down right. I have tryed uninstalling msn msgr and redoing it and it still happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

TellMe
brjohnsn@earthlink.net

I would suspect either a problem with the video driver or a conflict with something running in the background.

To test the video driver you could either bite the bullet and update or remove and reinstall them. Or you could try running without "hardware acceleration" long enough to verify whether it is related. To do the latter, right click on "My Computer" and select Properties>Performance>Graphics. Slide the accelerator control to None. You will need to restart after doing this. Performance will be affected, but if you dont get the error, you know it is related. You can bump it up to a higher level to see if there is an acceptable compromise.

On the conflict side, let's take a quick look at what you normally have running in the background, besides Explorer, systray and your browser window. Do a ctrl-alt-del and list what is there other than those.

TellMe

Hi Rollin' Rog: Thanks for the reply. On the part of the video card and all, I'm not really sure that I could do that and be comfortable that it would be done correctly.

On the start up, I did as you said. The programs that came up were:

navapw32
rnaapp
loadqm
systray

MSN MSGR was running in the background also, and I removed it and then opened it up and I still got the error message. Then when I did a Cntrl, alt and Delete, I got the desktop with:
Restore my active desktop. (I am getting this some also)

Thank you so much for your help!

TellMe
brjohnsn@earthlink.net

Well as far as "conflicts" go, the only two programs there are for Norton and for MS messenger (loadqm).

This last has been known as a source of conflicts and can be disabled without any real loss of function -- it helps create a buddy list priority when online. To disable it, go to start and run msconfig

Click on the "Startup" tab and remove the check for it.

It is possible that Norton is also causing a problem. Depending on how often these errors occur, you might want to disable it for a test and just be very careful for the time being in your surfing, downloading and opeing of Email attachments.

But if nothing pans out here, the Video driver still remains a suspect and should be tested as I suggested.

I would also recommend you empty your Temporary Internet and History caches in Internet Options.

By the way, Active Desktop serves no useful purpose for most and is a source of buggy behavior itself. I would recommend you disable it by right clicking on the desktop and uncheck Active Desktop > View as web page

Keep a record of any error messages you receive (see the details tab and note the modules and addresses).

Also, although I don't see anything in your Close Programs list, it is possible that you have dlls or files running that are associated with "spyware" that could cause conflicts. I would recommend you install and run Ad-Aware from lavasoft to detect and remove anything that might be there.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online