1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Kernel-Power Critical Error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dig0, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dig0

dig0 Thread Starter

Hi there,

I'm having problems playing multiplayer BF3 for extended periods of time. When playing campaign, everything is fine, and I have yet to experience any problems. I have played many, many other games with this rig, as well, and no issues have risen. When playing multiplayer BF3 for longer than 10-20mins, the PC will lock, with a looping noise, requiring a hard boot.

I have monitored my GPU and CPU temps while playing. The GPUs don't go much higher than 40C, and the CPU hovers around 70C.

Specs:

Intel i7-930 @ 4.2GHz
    6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 triple-channel
    EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI
    2x Gigabyte HD Radeon 5770 1GB in crossfire (each clocked to 920/1205MHz)
    Corsair HX 850W Professional Series PSU
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

I have stressed the overclock with prime95 for multi-hour sessions, with no BSODs arising. I am really at a loss for why this error happens. So far, I have played multiplayer twice, and both times I had the same problem.

The Error:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date: 30/10/2011 1:38:54 AM
    Event ID: 41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level: Critical
    Keywords: (2)
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer: Ray-PC
    Description:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
    <EventID>41</EventID>
    <Version>2</Version>
    <Level>1</Level>
    <Task>63</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-10-30T04:38:54.963206100Z" />
    <EventRecordID>13976</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Ray-PC</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
    <Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
    <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Any ideas?

2. dig0

dig0 Thread Starter

bump

3. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

Have you attempted to re-install the game?

What is your default browser? What version of that browser?

I have heard some things about specific browsers, if set as default, cause problems with the game.

There is a lot of noise on the internet about this being a coding/bug problem (with BF3). Let's hope we can get it to work for you and that is not your case!

4. dig0

dig0 Thread Starter

I have not attempted to re-install. I will do so now.

As for browser, I'm using Firefox 7.0.1 (the most recent).

5. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

"An intrepid user in our other Origin activation debacle post pointed out that after messing around in the resource management menus on his system, he found that Origin was sending out HTTP requests and using his default browser to field their responses. That browser was Firefox, which EA doesn&#8217;t recommend for Battlelog, Battlefield&#8217;s browser-based game-launching system.After shutting down Origin entirely and switching his default browser to Internet Explorer, Game Front reader Waddock said he was able to activate Battlefield 3 no problem."

Source

I know your issue is not an activation issue, but if you read it, it mentions that it doesn't recommend FF as a whole to play multiplayer. I would recommend switching to IE as default and see if it continues. If that fixes it, it sucks that you'll have to keep switching it, but at least it works. Hopefully they release a fix.

PS: There was also an issue with IE9 causing problems. Jeeze this is really crappy on EA's part. Try for IE8 as your default or Chrome.

6. dig0

dig0 Thread Starter

I tried re-installing, as well as using Google Chrome to run the game. Same problem, two times in a row.

Temperatures were fine, ranging from 59-67 on the 4 cores when the lockup occurred.

7. dig0

dig0 Thread Starter

bump

same problem at stock clocks as well

8. dig0

dig0 Thread Starter

tried disabling crossfire, same problem.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024664

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice