kernel32.dll error message

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

acraig426

I am (or used to be) running Windows XP Professional on a Dell optiplex GX520. Recently, I noticed that the computer was acting strangely; google search results were redirected to spam websites, everything seemed to be slowing down, etc. I attempted to run anti-virus software but to no avail. Eventually I decide to just restart my computer in the hopes that it would help. Instead, all I got on load up was a blue screen and an error message that said the kernel32.dll file was not found and that I should reinstall it. This screen appeared whenever I tried to turn on the computer, I could not access my desktop or anything so I could not just do a system restore.

After reading up on the kernel32.dll error message, I found that re-installing windows was what I had to do. Unfortunately, the computer came pre-loaded with the XP Professional software and I didn't have any kind of CD to reinstall from. I did, however, have an old installation CD for Windows XP Home Edition from a seperate computer. I followed all of the instructions and I now have what I believe is called a multiboot - I have both windows xp home and professional editions installed. I can use the computer fine with home edition, though it's a clean slate in terms of data. I can, however, view all of my old files from the professional OS in the home OS by going to Documents and Settings in the C drive. This is good in that I can now copy my music, important documents, etc. onto different locations, but I still want my old OS back. With this new configuration, I can't install certain programs because apparently my service pack is out of date and attempts to update it have failed, I can't do a system restore to when my old OS was working, and windows no longer recognizes my speakers that were working fine only a few days ago.

Can someone PLEASE help me? I'm not the most tech-savvy guy around but I can try to provide more information if necessary. Thanks!

I think you should place your query into the malware forum and let the gurus their guide you

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online