KERNEL32.DLL error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

songwrtr

I have a Trellix web program I use to build and maintain a website. A couple of days ago I started getting an occasional prompt "Trellix has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL and will now close", but no problems have appeared. Tonight, my website suddenly won't publish changes (won't connect to site) and doesn't ask for my password. I've had too many similar problems with my other sites that are not Trellix sites and aren't stored in my computer. Like being repeatedly asked for passwords ( over and over), prompts that my user name is invalid(over and over), not being able to access any of my 5 e-mail sites at the same time. I'm either being hacked repeatedly or something is going on in my computer. So how do I fix the KERNEL32.DLL error thing? I've done everything I know within my limited ability including defrag , checked for viruses and trojans, non detected. I'm using an HP with Windows ME.

songwrtr, my somewhat limited experience with such web hosts (Yahoo and ForturneCity), inclines me to believe your problems with connecting and getting password authentication are entirely at their end, and may go on for days. Typically they are never resolved over weekends, when nobody seems to be at the wheel.

Most kernel32 errors are caused by conflicts with other apps; sometimes "hidden" spyware ones. Normally I would recommend you download and run Ad-Aware from the lavasoft site, but at last report there were some problems with their current reference list which need to be resolved before I want to recommend the program for someone not familiar with what are known as Browser Helper Objects.

But you can do a ctrl-alt-del and see what is running in your "close programs window". You need Explorer, systray, rnaapp (if there), your antivirus, and firewall (if you have one) and any open browser Window you are working with. You also need the immediate software you are working with, such as Trellix. But other running tasks can be "end-tasked". This may simplifiy matters enough for you to minimizize kernel32 conflicts for the time being.

songwrtr

Thank you, thank, you, thank you. I suspected there was something going on with the password thing (like you mentioned), but it happens so much, so often that it seems like I can't get anything done. Got a thing going on with mp3.com (trying to upload my own CD's etc.) and the links they're providing are all dead ends... ridiculous. I'll try what you suggested. By the way (if you check back here). Any suggestions on this: I have a little fire wall (only one I've tried and it's real effective), but I removed it as it kept prompting me whenever my computer would try to send info to Microsoft (which happened constantly). I'd deny the transmission and it would stop me from doing anything and I mean anything. Is there a firewall out there which can be turned on and off at will? This one's either active all the time or you have to remove it (that's what you get when it's free).

I use the free version of ZoneAlarm and the specific permissions are very easy to enable or disable. Once you give permission, that should be it, unless you have "prompt" checked. The only other "freebee" I know about, which is highly regarded, is Tiny Personal Firewall; but I'm not familiar with how it works. Nor am I familiar with the paid ones such as Norton or McAfee.

Originally posted by Rollin' Rog

. Normally I would recommend you download and run Ad-Aware from the lavasoft site, but at last report there were some problems with their current reference list which need to be resolved before I want to recommend the program for someone not familiar with what are known as Browser Helper Objects.

Rollin' Rog: Have these 'problems' been solved yet?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online