1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

kernel32.dll error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kgolfs, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kgolfs

kgolfs Thread Starter

I get this messge when I try to scan w/ my hp scanner. I t says some other application is using all the menory and to wait until it's done!! I have no idea what that means. It has worked great until I started to get Norton Utilites 2002 loaded, a disaster. so I unistalled that and put my NU2000 back in and that works fine.
    I tried using "acquire" from my print shop 12 program bec I want to scan some cards and I get that error. this has never happened before. How do I fix this?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Need the whole error. Is it a general protection fault or what.

3. kgolfs

kgolfs Thread Starter

It won't work at all now even stand alone, the precision scan window opens then it disappears. I got a new driver from HP and downloaded it but no help, vers 2.02.
    the error on print shop reads "invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0177.bff7b9e3".
    I'm going to uninstall the scanner and reinstall it. It's USB.
    It worked yesterday bec I made a copy of a receipt.
    Since then, I had a nightmarish time trying to get Norton Utilities 2002 installed which failed after hours of work. So, I installed my old copy and it works fine.
    Now the scanner won't work.

4. Rockn

Rockn

Unplug the scanner and power up and once windoze is started plug it in and turn it on.

5. kgolfs

kgolfs Thread Starter

I uninstalled and reinstalled the scanner and updated the software for it. It will work once stand alone and dropping the file
    into
    Paint Shop pro, for instance, then it won't respond again. I have to reboot and unplug it. Will not function at all in any of my card software programs using 'acquire' or with Paint Shop pro that way either. That's when I get the kernel32 error.
    Somehting else weird happening too-- I've gotten two 'runtime errors' when I triedinstalling Norton System Works 2002 and 2000. The first one said it was code -99. the second said it was in wondows\temp\ins5176._mp, abnormal program termination.
    I have never received messages like this the entire time I've been using computers!
    Do you think this is an indication that Win 98 is becoming unstable? I just upgraded this computer last Jan w/ a new motherboard and more speed etc.. I started encountering weird stuff after I got cable modem thru roadrunner. The cable works great. There are no errors under device manager. I use Zone Alarm as a firewall.
    Last week my computer would not boot and wanted a boot disk. My first thought was, oh no! I had a Zip recovery disk so I used that to boot to windowsand all was fine as far as Windows loading then little things began to happen.What do you think?
    I don't want to spend $25 to call HP and have them work on the scanner if it's a windows problem.

6. Rockn

Rockn

Does ZA report any strange activity and have you run a Virus scan recently with the most recent definitions? If you had problems after installing broadband I would think something has gotten into your system. You might want to try a fresh install of Win98 to clear everything up as it does become flaky after installing and removing a lot of apps. One thing I noticed was ZA!! My computer at home always became unusable after installing it so I just dumped it. Norton's Internet Security always worked well for me.

7. kgolfs

kgolfs Thread Starter

Hi--thanks for your help.
    I called HP today, the $25 line, and they are going to send me a new install disk.
    This Zone Alarm problem--I have conflicting reports about it too. Some techs say it's great and that Norton's is not!
    How does one completely remove all of ZA'a files from my computer so I have no conflicts with it?
    Do I get Norton Internet protection or the firewall?:rolleyes:

8. Rockn

Rockn

Try their firewall.....basically the same thing. Good luck

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61975

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice