1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

kernel32.dll Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Elanor, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

Hi. I've been having kernel32.dll problems whenever I open any media player. It started out saying "The procedure entry point MakeCriticalSectionGlobal could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll". Looking through the forums, I found a suggestion to replace it with the kernel32.dl_ from the C:/I386 folder and I did. Now the error has become "The procedure entry point SUnMapLS_IP_EBP_8 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll"

I really don't know what to do here. I've tried replacing the kernel file with something I downloaded, but I don't think it's taking since the file is Windows Protected. Any suggestions as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated. :D

Oh, and I've run the sfc /scannow command like 6 times already. It doesn't find anything wrong. :(

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the file kernel32.dl_ is still identified with an underscore, it was either not expanded or not properly renamed. Are both files the same size? What are the version numbers? (Right click on them and select Properties > version)

What version of Media Player is this? And was your XP operating system an upgrade from Win98?

Moreover if the problem is of recent origin, have you tried doing a System Restore?

3. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

Unfortunately, it seems that my system restore is malfunctioning as well, because there seem to be no restore points prior to the problem. So I can't do that.

I'm on a laptop purchased last year, which came preinstalled with XP. The problems began with Winamp3. Opening it a couple of days ago, hours after I had just used it, and without installed anything new, it said that DDRAW.DLL was missing. I switched it off. The Blue Screen of Death appeared later on and I was told during checkdisk that tons of my files were crosslinked. After checkdisk had run, all seemed fine except for Winamp3. I was told to download DDRAW.DLL online to solve the winamp problems, and I did. I installed that.

When I next open WMP9, an ActiveMovie.exe error box popped up, talking about kernel32. All movie players (I have the newest versions of RealOne and Quicktime as well) now do that.

Both files are indeed the same size, version 5.2600.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Are you sure that isn't

That would be the version for XP Home and Pro.

However, there is an XP service pack1 version slightly larger in file size:

Have you installed SP1?

It might be a good idea to do so if you haven't.

You should avoid downloading files off the net unless you are absolutely sure they are version compatible with YOUR XP OS version.

You can check this data base to find out what you "should" have:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/fileversion/dllinfo.asp&SD=TECH&FR=0

By the way I would copy the kernel32.dl_ one to a backup folder and delete the one in System32 for now.

You haven't answered whether it is the same file size. If it is smaller, then it has not been expanded. If it is the same size, then it is not being used because the file name is incorrect. You can change that and copy it back, overwriting the existing one. Do this ONLY if the file size AND the version is the same.

5. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

Oh, that's right, that's the version. Sorry about that.

I haven't installed SP1. I'll do that right now and see if it helps.

So you think I should uninstall DDRAW.DLL, then, if it's not the right one? I'll go check.

Yep, it's the same size and the same version. I don't know if overwriting will work since the file seems to be Windows protected. Maybe I'll install SP1 first and see if that helps. :) Will be back to let you know how things went. Thank you.

6. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

I did install SP1, but the error still shows up. I tried replacing it with the original kernel.dl_, but it reverts to the new (still malfunctioning) one because it's Windows Protected. :(

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You don't want to use the "original" kernel32.dl_

What you want in the System32 directory is just one kernel32.dll whose version and size (930,304) is the same as that for SP1. And there should be no other kernel32's in the system path: c:\windows\system\system32

Is that what you have now?

You should also make sure you have that version of kernel32.dll saved in the c:\I386 folder for backup.

What is the version of DDRAW.DLL that you used? For Windows XP sp1 the version should be:

5.1.2600.1106, file size: 253,440

By the way, I have seen some instances where virus files have loaded "bogus" copies of kernel32.dll in Win9x systems. I haven't seen this in XP, but it might help to have a look at exactly what is loading.

Run HijackThis and provide a copy/paste of the Scanlog which will show current running tasks and programs.

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

8. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

Yes, that's the version of kernel32.dll in my C:\Windows\system32 folder now. I've copied it to I386 for backup.

My version of DDRAW is a 4.8 one. It's the one I downloaded off the net, and apparently SP1 didn't replace it.

The following is my hijack this file:

By the way, since I loaded SP1, it seems that my system has been moving slower. It takes like a minute for all the stuff I click on after booting to show up. Is that normal?

Thanks so much. :)

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There's nothing in the Scanlog to suggest problems, but these two items can be checked and "fixed" to delete them, they are ad/spyware helper objects that weren't completely cleaned.

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {D14641FA-445B-448E-9994-209F7AF15641} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {D5B72AED-E54A-11D6-B1B2-444553540000} - (no file)

No the slow program/application loading is not normal. I'd suggest trying a defrag and see if that helps any.

Don't you have a higher version of ddraw.dll in your c:\I386 folder? And what version of DirectX is installed? (run dxdiag to find out). You may want to upgrade that.

Back to the orginal problem. I think that for some reason these media programs think they are installed on a 9x system. Maybe this is because of the wrong version of ddraw.dll, I don't know.

Have you tried removing and reintalling any of them? I'd start with Winampa3 and QuickTime

Also can you give me the full error message that included "activemovie.exe"? This seems like it doesn't belong. Is it a QuickTime application? I have no such file on my system.

If that error is occuring no matter what media file you try to run, then the problem may be with a damaged QuickTime having taken over all your media file type associations.

10. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

D'oh. You're right about the higher version of ddraw. I expanded it and it's now sitting in my system folder. The old version which I had downloaded off the net has been deleted.

I ran dxdiag and it says that my DirectX is version 9.0b. Interestingly enough, when I clicked on the tab for DirectX Files, the kernel error popped up again.

[​IMG]

When I click okay, the following box popped up.

[​IMG]

The kernel error occurs every time I play any movie, as well as when I open Powerpoint and Winamp. The heading changes, though:

For Winamp 2.9:

[​IMG]

For Powerpoint XP:

[​IMG]

I tried opening a realvideo file:

[​IMG]

An avi file in WMP:

[​IMG]

So basically the heading changes and the problem remains the same.

One thing I did notice was that I apparently can't play DVD movies on my computer now. I get the same error with PowerDVD.exe in the header, but unlike the other media files, which eventually play after I click okay, I get the following message:

[​IMG]

I tried to do as it suggested and changed monitor settings, but it didn't help. I figured it might be because of the wrong DDRAW file, but the problem persists even though I've now installed the newer version from C:\I386. DVDs refuse to play on my other players (WMP and RealOne) as well. :(

I haven't opened Quicktime in a very long time and Winamp3 refuses to be reinstalled on my system because of the Kernel32 error. (I uninstalled it when the error first started occuring, back when kernel32 wasn't a problem yet.)

I actually uninstalled SP1 because the computer was just being way too slow with it. I remember reading about other people's experience with loading after installing it, so I just gave up. After all, it didn't really help with the kernel32 problem, which was my concern. After I uninstalled, loading was noticeably faster, but not as much as it was before. I'll run defrag as well, just to see if it helps any.

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The only MS documentation I can find that even remotely relates to what you are experiencing is this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177288

Since we have every reason to believe that your kernel32.dll is fine, that Dxdiag is the latest and not corrupt, and that since it is occuring in all media players that use video, we need to take a look at whether there is some corruption or misconfiguration of the video driver installation.

I think we can test this hypothesis by loading a VGA mode driver instead of your standard Display adapter.

To do this you must restart and choose VGA mode from the boot menu. Tap the f8 key a few times immediately after the first progress bar disappears on restarting to get the boot menu, which includes safe mode, vga mode and other options.

Choose VGA mode. Once in Windows try playing an avi file or doing something that has been generating this error and see if it still occurs.

If it doesn't, I guess it's time to reinstall or try updating the video driver installation.

By the way, Google > Groups is a great resource I use when ever I research problems -- are you related to Chris ;) ?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&newwindow=1&th=bd1829dc91c2a294&rnum=4

12. Elanor

Elanor Thread Starter

You got me. ;) I am Chris indeed.

I tried running my computer in VGA mode and it didn't change a thing. Error still pops up.

If worse comes to worst, I'm thinking of taking my computer back to the repair center and asking them to run a repair from the Windows CD (XP came preinstalled with my computer so I don't have a copy of it). Is a repair more likely to solve dll problems compared to a windowsupdate or an installation of a service pack? Based on experience (since you know a lot more about this stuff than I do), do repairs normally stick without wiping a computer of its data?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!