1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

kernel_data_inpage_error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by myfishpajamas, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myfishpajamas

myfishpajamas Thread Starter

So I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop that I've only had for about two years. I upgraded to Windows 7 in January and I run Trend Micro anti-virus because I'm in college and we get that for free. Probably about a month ago, the anti-virus began turning off by itself and when I would try to turn it back on, it wouldn't. If I restarted my computer, it started working again. After that, my computer started having problems. It would run extremely slow or not at all and occasionally would restart on its own. I ran the Trend Micro OfficeScan and Trend Micro House Call - OfficeScan didn't find anything and house call found one item. I downloaded and ran Ad-Aware, which found 23 issues with some cookies and those issues were fixed. That seemed to help for about week. It should be noted that I do visit some questionable websites, so it is not out of the question that it could be a virus, but I feel as though I've done all I know to do to find such a virus.

Yesterday my computer crashed three times in one day and each time, the blue screen came up with "kernel_data_inpage_error" and 0x0000007A (not sure of how many zeroes before the 7A). I have seen this screen once or twice before yesterday, but yesterday was ridiculous.

I'm in college and it is the last week of class and I rely on my computer for both taking notes and writing papers, so it is crucial that I find a way to fix it ASAP. I have already backed up all of my important files and I am currently backing up music files. Should I just do a system restore before March (which is when Trend Micro stopped working)? I would like to retain Windows 7 if possible but because I used a student upgrade off of Microsoft's website, I don't have anyway to put it on my computer again if I restore before January 2010.

Is there something else I can do besides a system restore?

Help!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

"in page" errors are often drive related -- so it would be a good idea to run chkdsk on the drive. Also HD Tune (free version) is a good utility that can do a quick check for "bad blocks" and other drive health issues

http://www.hdtune.com/

You will find the log for chkdsk available in the Event Viewer > Applications Log > wininit entry after reboot. Run eventvwr.msc to open the event viewer.

---------------------------------------------

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to c:\windows\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder. *this assumes 'c' is your boot drive, if it is not, subsitute accordingly
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

If you do not see any minidumps, be sure you are not using any cache cleaner such as CCleaner. Also run sysdm.cpl and select Advanced > Startup and Recovery. Make sure "small memory dump" is the one chosen under "write debugging information" and the location should be %systemroot%\minidump

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

On Vista and Win7 you can run mdsched.exe -- once rebooted to the scanner press F1 for Advanced options and run the "extended" tests.

Attached Files:

3. zorbeyyy58

zorbeyyy58

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice