1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

kernel_stack_inpage_error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jmc, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

Not something you want to come home to find on your computer! All it had was the first line of codes - 0x77, 0xce twice, 0x0, 0x0112a000 and the error. No dump or additional information below.

Now, the research I did suggests it could be a bad block in a pageing file, or possibly bad RAM.

When I researched 0xce, it says something about DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS - though I didn't see this error.

When I tried to restart, it'd go through the bios, but I got a "no boot disk" type error instead of Windows 2000 as should happen. A hard reboot got everything working.

I have had no indications of problems with my hardware, and my boot HD is fairly new, though I'll certainly be running a full check on it as soon as I finish this.

What should I be looking for, what could have triggered this, and do you think it was a one-off thing, or is this the start of a downward spiral?

Any advice appreciated.

jmc

2. natcom

natcom

check on the event viewer on the system tab for any error around the time you got this error and post the event ID and error code here

3. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

There were no entries at all in the event log, between a day or two ago, and when I rebooted the computer on arriving home. Checked all three...

Since posting the original, I ran Norton Disk Doctor, and asked for full checks of drives C: and S: (this is my Windows swap file). In Windows, NDD reported finding no problems with either.

It ran chkdsk with no errors, or at least I think so - c: ran last, whipped through the text, then before I could blink, I got:

0xD1 (0xBFFFBE2C, 0x2, 0x0, 0xBFFDE5E0), DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Unlike the previous error, this is one I've seen before - but it doesn't tell me which driver. "kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a proces IRQL that was too high". I guess I'm still reaching for the level of geekdom that'll tell me what that *means* in practical terms.

I think I'm getting that I have a driver problem somewhere, but I can't track down exactly what driver. I've tried upgrading a couple - especially the sound, since that driver *was* implicated in a BSOD a while back.

Any help appreciated. Still trying to get my heart restarted, after getting the "what boot disk?" error after restarting after the BSOD...

jmc

4. jmc

jmc Thread Starter

:( My hard drive failed this morning. I woke to the same message that I started the thread with, got various others as I tried to get the machine to boot, and finally (why didn't I get it days ago??) got a BIOS message that SMART had failed. The failed drive is a 120GB IBM that's no more than two years old. There were no real indications, aside from the above BSOD, that there was anything wrong. Machine had been working fine after a reboot. The HD wasn't making 'I'm DYING!' noises or anything, though now it spins down suddenly sometime during the boot process. Sooner in the process each time.

Good thing I have a WD Raptor waiting in the wings, I just hadn't got around to installing it and reinstalling the OS yet.

I've done a backup pretty recently, but not necessarily recently enough. On top of that, last night I started deleting data off my external backup drive, so that when my new equipment arrives (including a second 200GB SATA), I could move the 120GB into the external casing, replacing the current 40GB. Murphy just waits for little things like that!

So, this query has changed to: What sort of software exists out there that will help me recover particular files, or directories, off the dying hard drive? What can I do to try to keep it alive long enough to get that data off?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/366311

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice