Key Issues, e.g. Alt+1, Alt+4 - Instead Of , Browser Goes Back One Page

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XP4Life

I currently have an outstanding thread on the Malware Removal forum regarding this issue, and it does not appear that it will be tended to in a timely manner, so... in the interim, I am posting my situation on the general forum to see if anyone has any advice.

Let me start by saying that, thankfully (knock on wood), my computer is functioning normally for the most part, and while I scan regularly using four or five different programs, I haven't found anything profoundly alarming... yet.

For the last couple of weeks, I have noticed that my keyboard has without warning changed a couple of "alt" commands on its own. For example, when I type alt+1, alt+4, instead of the note character, the browser (regardless of whether it's Firefox or IE) will go back one page to the previous page visited. And alt+1, alt+7 - I forget which character that is - brings me to the browser home page. I found this out just recently on my own, since I usually like to use the note music symbol if I'm ever "singing" something on blogs and whatnot. It's a sudden change that I have no idea how it happened, but it's quite possible some sort of malware could be responsible, because I've Googled and Googled and have yet to find anyone with the same predicament.

I will add that this is not the first time my keyboard has acted weird - my first, last, and only post on this forum back in January revolved around the caps lock function on my keyboard working in reverse (you can read more about it here: http://forums.techguy.org/general-se...ing-links.html). There was another problem at the same time, as you can tell by the URL title. Anyway, I believe the way that was solved was a user's suggestion that I disable "sticky keys", and so it did appear I had sticky keys. So I tried the same trick (hitting Shift five times, etc.) and the computer still goes back one page when I type alt+1, alt+4. So it's not that.

It has to be something, and it could very well be malware. All I know is, I'll be damned if I log into my bank website before this situation is taken care of. If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

XP4Life

FYI - I just bought a brand new keyboard. Same result when pressing alt+1 and then alt+4 - back to the previous page.

Is there a way to like reset any keyboard defaults or something? This problem is clearly now in the computer, and I am wondering if there is some keylogger thing on it as a result.

Any advice would be appreciated. FYI - I have a Windows XP OS (then again, my handle should tip you off to that). Thanks.

XP4Life

Well, I'm a big dummy. Turns out that I solved my own problem by stumbling onto Wikipedia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt_code

It says that I need to enable "num lock" for the Alt keys to work how I want them.

On the bright side, I really did need a new keyboard... happy day!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online