1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

keyboard and mouse don't work anymore after moving the pc (works in vista though)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dotslasher, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dotslasher

dotslasher Thread Starter

I went to a LAN party so I unplugged all my cables from the pc. When arriving at the lan party I plugged everything back in and booted into Vista Ultimate.
    Everything was detected properly and I encountered no problems.
    But when I got home again I wanted to boot into Windows XP Pro and that's where the problems started.

My USB Keyboard and USB mouse would not light up when I was in XP. The Install New hardware window popped up asking me to install "new" devices: "composite usb device".
    You might understand that it's impossible to proceed this installation when you cannot use your mouse and keyboard.

Unfortunatly I do not have a PS/2 mouse or keyboard around.

How do I get my mouse and keyboard working again? (booting into "LAST KNOWN WORKING CONFIGURATION" does not work) and everything has been working fine for more than a year now, untill I unplugged them and probably plugged them into a different usb port (btw all my ports are 2.0).

2. dotslasher

doesn't anybody know how to fix this?

3. Mrcrowley1967

Mrcrowley1967

try another USB port ,Are you running duel boot on same system ? If so why would you go back to xp if you have Vista?

Try unplugging and plugging usb while in xp . Also boot up in vista and download drivers for mouse and keyboard make sure there xp drivers also go into bios and make sure usb support is activated just in case.

4. dotslasher

I tried unplugging all these things already and tried different usb ports, the moment I plug them in Windows wants to search for drivers and I cannot control or advance that window because it needs the drivers to be installed first before i can use the hardware.

Which is very weird because all drivers where installed already.

5. dotslasher

after a lot of unplugging and plugging things in again my mouse suddenly worked again (lol?).

I unplugged everything, plugged in the keyboard, the hardware installation thing came up and then I plugged in the mouse, it got powered up and I could use it.

It's magic I tell you ;)

6. defscarlett

defscarlett

go invest in a $4 PS/2 mouse or keyboard lol.

7. Mrcrowley1967

Mrcrowley1967

I had same problem ran through all of the usb ports once and on second pass they worked
    got to love USB sometimes..:rolleyes:

8. KevinMoire

KevinMoire

Okay so this same thing is going on with my Co-worker's computer. I'm completely stumped as to why, and there's no "Legacy USB option" in the bios. Its that A04 bios that comes with semi-new(er) Dell workstations.

Here's the ultimate kicker, I cant get in to the OS at all to re-install usb because i must push Ctrl+Alt+Del to log on.

Domain. Sucks.

Ideas? ANYONE?

Formatting is not an option.

Edit: More specifically, his usb mouse lights up (optical), and we can use the keyboard in Bios, but once windows xp pro boots, the keyboard loses it's functionality, and the mouse remains working.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/690136

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice